Sadness | Teen Ink

Sadness

Have you ever felt sad? Have you ever felt depressed? Have you ever felt you weren't worth it? Have you ever thought that the world would be better without you here? Have you ever thought that you would be better if you weren't here?
It's okay to feel sad. It's okay to occasionally feel depressed. You should never feel you aren't worth it, you are worth it. You should never think that the world would be better without you, you help make the world what it is. You should never think that you would be better if you weren't here, you wouldn't even be you if you weren't here.
Sadness and depression are human emotions. Emotions can't be controlled. But thinking the world would be better without you? Thinking that it would be better if you didn't exist? Those are thoughts, and thoughts can be controlled. And those thoughts? Those thoughts aren't healthy. Thoughts help determine who you are; but you make the thoughts. You make you, you.

One of my friends was having a bad day and that made me upset. I wrote this to be a reminder to people that it's okay to have thoughts and feelings, but hurting yourself with the thoughts you have, isn't good.