Rays of Hope | Teen Ink

Rays of Hope

February 24, 2012
By ashpunch01 BRONZE, Plainview, New York
ashpunch01 BRONZE, Plainview, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The classroom was filled with whispers, talking, and laughter. Our teacher sat at her desk, doing her usual business, probably grading some tests. There I sat, alone and quiet, finishing up the worksheet we were assigned to do. Some asked for answers while others talked about things not related to class at all, such as relationships and what they had planned to do after school.

It was health class, eighth period.

Deciding to finish the work at home, I gathered my things and put them in my bag. Finally, the bell rang, and as it echoed all throughout the building, students rushed hurriedly out of their classrooms to catch their bus or to go to the lunchroom. Many running footsteps were heard outside the door. The eighth period bell was certainly a sound that all of us welcomed. Everyone in my class had already left. Slowly and casually, I grabbed my backpack and jacket, and I left the room.

I had stayed for remedial that day to make up a test, as well as get some extra help with math. It was not one of my best subjects. I was still working when the ninth period bell rang, and I had to catch a bus. I gathered my things, and I headed for my ride home, walking at a fast pace. Quickly, I put on my jacket and went down the two cases of stairs to get down and outside where the buses were.

It was raining, fog and mist filling the air and atmosphere. I ran as fast as I could with the little of energy I had left as I remembered that my bus was first, the sloshing of the water beneath my black boots. The soft and gentle rain pattered on my round rosy cheeks. My dark brown hair, which was recently straightened at the hair salon, bounced and swayed over my face. It covered my eyesight as it swung left and right, but thankfully I could still see where I was going. The little strands got in my eyes and irritated me, but I ignored it. My face immediately flushed as a familiar face walked past me…

Still, I kept going, until I suddenly heard the bus engines go on, and I heard the sound of a moving bus. I watched as I saw the first bus leave instantly and disappear in the fog.

I was too late.

I stopped, my face showing disappointment, and sighed as I fixed my hair to go back into place, which was slowly turning back into my natural curls. I put on my hood from my jacket and turned around, sluggishly making my way back towards the school. Splashes were heard underneath my feet. As I finally arrived back at the front of the school and went inside, there he was. It was almost as if he was waiting for me…

But he wasn’t.

There he was, with me and many other people waiting for their buses. But I only saw him standing there, like everyone else was invisible, or as if I were blind…

There he stood, just a few feet away from me. He has straight golden hair, just barely going over his eyes. His eyes are a stunning shade of deep blue, pure and beautiful as the sea. He wears glasses, adding the desired affect of showing how intelligent he is. His cheeks are usually a wonderful shade of a rosy red, and his glistening smile can make anyone’s heart stop, especially mine, even if he does have braces. He wore a black graphic tee with skinny jeans and sneakers as blue as his eyes. He wore his usual beige jacket with his blue, black, and white checkered backpack hung over his shoulders.

My mouth opened to say a simple hello, but nothing came out. I have talked to him a few times before, but I couldn’t say a word at the moment, possibly because I just admire him so much. He’s friendly, very kind, and open to others. He’ll talk to anyone, and has a wonderful sense of humor, and isn’t afraid to stand up or stand out. Yet, at the same time, he is so smart…

All of these qualities…I admire them more than anything.

What am I to do? I have been trying to create a bond, a friendship with him…

I cannot give up, I must not lose hope.

After calling my mom for a ride home, his bus arrived two minutes later. A lady who works at the school told me and some other person to wait upstairs. I trudged up the steps, still looking at him with sincere eyes as he went outside and headed for his bus. At one point I had to look away for a second, but by the time I had climbed to the top of the stairs and I looked back to where he had been before, he was gone…already in the yellow vehicle.

My eyes turned dull as I watched the bus slowly depart and fade into the fog. The vehicle disappeared in the distance.

I looked at the foggy gray sky. What could I possibly do? How could I strengthen the bond and create a friendship with him? How can I get to know him better?

I can’t give up, not yet. I reminded myself. Even when things seem impossible, there is still a chance, I keep saying. There is still hope. I know I can do this, I just know I can, because I know that above the dark clouds, the sun is still shining. There are rays of hope.

I stood there, smiling, seeing through those dull, shadowy figures of gray puffs. Hopefully one day he will be standing by me, so that we could both look out to the earth together. A smile was still plastered on my face as I went downstairs to my mom’s car.

Where there is light, there is hope.


The author's comments:
This is actually a true story. I also tend to make things seem a lot more serious than they really are. Sometimes they are, though. I'm over this guy already.