Human BEings | Teen Ink

Human BEings

February 15, 2012
By cathfeng PLATINUM, Starkville, Mississippi
cathfeng PLATINUM, Starkville, Mississippi
23 articles 5 photos 1 comment

During the course of my seventeen years and five months as a teenager, I often find myself questioning the past. I think it's quite normal for everyone, really. However, I've learned that no matter how annoyed I get at everyone who tells me, "Everything happens for a reason," I end up acknowledging the truth of that...reluctantly, if we're being honest. Looking back on everything, I don’t regret a moment of it. Okay, maybe some of those moments, I cringe in agony and think, “Did I really do/think that?” It’s alright though. Learn to laugh at yourself. It’s good for you. It makes you remember that you’re only human, nothing more and nothing less. I saw a quote the other day that says why we’re called “human BEings”. We’re meant to just “be.” Take it however you want, but for me, it means going out there and doing what you love and being who you are. You know, this morning I was like, “Hmm I don’t know if I should wear this red, blue, and white dress because people might look at me and think I’m weird for dressing like it’s July 4th.” But then I thought, “Screw that. I’m me, and if I want to look like a July 4th, then I’m perfectly fine with myself.” SO often we unconsciously just let others determine what we do. And that is just not cool. Do what you want, and follow your heart. Don’t let anyone tell you what you feel or how to think. Stand up for yourself. Be courageous. Be bold. Try new things. If you don’t get something right, do it again. Don’t give up. Love with all that you have. Give your heart away. Have it broken, and have the strength to let someone in again that will fix all the pieces. Be you. You’re brilliantly beautiful. Because honestly, we're all just parts of a greater puzzle, waiting to be pieced together. No matter how mismatched, we all somehow come to fit together in a perfect way that none of us could have seen coming. So, let it happen.

The author's comments:
Just "be."