Breath

Introduction to The Crucible
Journal: English

“Try to recall a moment in your past where you were in a crucible in detail and explain what you were feeling”

“Breath in, breath out. You can do this” This crossed my mind thousands of times when I was on the stand. Yes, that stand. So many thoughts leading up to that moment yet none of that seemed to matter as I sat there and spilled every last gut out of my shaking body. “You’ve got to be strong for them, not for you, this isn’t about you it’s about them and what they’ve done to you. They deserve it. They deserve every last thing they get because of what they’ve done to you.” Questions. Questions, a new meaning in the court room, questions flowing about my childhood. The childhood that will haunt me for the rest of my following years yet, I didn’t want to do this. I didn’t mean for this to happen. I wish I could just sit back and gawk at all that’s happening now, and innocent bystander. Yet, we all know this isn’t going to happen now. I didn’t mean for this to happen sitting in this cold, hard unforgiving wooden chair. So much pressure. “Breath in, Breath out” They demanded answers for three hours straight. Questions. Choices, choices. Wrong or Right affect you life, for the rest of your life. The panel. Twelve eyes staring into your soul, expecting. Waiting to pounce to catch their prey: me in their mouth, devour me whole and smile at their victory. “Regret, Regret Regret” My mind screams, my body races sweaty palms that withhold my future. Overcome is that obstacle. My knees weak as I step off the stand my parents eyes boring right inside of me, as I walk off into a new me, a new life with my head held high