Small Town/Senior Life | Teen Ink

Small Town/Senior Life

February 15, 2012
By Levi8621 BRONZE, Pleasantville, Iowa
Levi8621 BRONZE, Pleasantville, Iowa
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss


I noticed the little things about this little town. The store, the checkerboard, this coffee shop. This little town is a BIG part of me. If I were to walk from the Casey’s store, through the little league fields, down through the park, and up past the school, there are a million memories just in a short walk. If i were to walk up Monroe, State or Jones Street, I see a thousand pictures of my memories.

And as time ticks by, and we get closer to graduation, I realize that even if I go, this town is one of the towns you never really let go of. Singers write songs about towns like this. People visit towns like this for inspiration. Tourist rarely stop here, unless recomended. I wouldn’t want to have lived anywhere else, although there are some days when I want to leave.

In the fall, this town lives and dies with the football team at the small town local school. Everyone goes to the field to watch every Friday night. In the winter, after the Senior football players have walked off the field for the last time, the town seems to die with the cold Iowa winter. The town still gets together, still at the school. This time, the parents and town legends watch to see what the boys and girls can do on the court, or on the wrestling mat. The winter takes for ever, but then spring rolls around.

This town gets new life in the spring. It gets so green out, and all the kids head down to the park. The whole town gets focused on the upcoming graduation ceremony that happens in May. Another part of history leaves the school that so many people have attended.

In the summer, the town is brought to life once more. Many people still gather at the school, although its not in session. The baseball and softball season just help people on to the next months.

And just like that another year has past. Before you know it, its time to graduate, and leave this town, but keep the memories. Deep within this town are legends, stories, and small town America. This town is what small town America is all about. And I wouldn’t want it any other way.

I hate when people say they’re from a small town, and I ask how many people there town has. Some reply with 3,000. And I guess, in my opinion, that their town is small if you compare it to the majority of towns in America. But when you get under the 2,000 mark, and you can name everyone in your graduating class, or even your high school, now that’s small.
So in the next few months, the Seniors from this little town, myself included, will head off to see whats out there. The memories and support from the people of this town is the biggest thing to keep us small town kids going.

The author's comments:
I live in a small town. I love it. I wanted to write something about it, but I'm not sure if I did it justice.