My Best Worst Mistake | Teen Ink

My Best Worst Mistake

By Jerica BRONZE, Durant, Oklahoma
Jerica BRONZE, Durant, Oklahoma

The worst thing you can ever do to yourself, worse than dying, worse than starvation, is to put yourself above others who love you. When I was in middle school I struggled each day with some friends to be on the girls’ volleyball team. It made me feel a part of something to be around others with the same interest.
My goals weren’t really encouraged by anyone in my house because no one really ever had a goal like mine. I received most of my encouragement from my coach. She rubbed off on me so much I ran for everything I needed. I couldn’t have been in any better shape.
When it came down to the real deal, I needed my physical signed by a doctor. Even though mom didn’t really understand my dream, I was still dependent on her to have my physical signed. I had had a rigorous day of training for the team. But when I got home mom had not taken my physical to the doctor. The paper she had in her hand instead were papers speaking of divorce.
Dad was had lost his wellbeing. I knew that being the daughter it was important to go with my mother. I gave up my dream of being on the volleyball team. I never got it back either. I knew I had done the right thing. But the worst thing I could have ever done was put myself before others. I loved volleyball but I loved my mom much more. I have found new goals now and I have become a new person. Sometimes giving up things for the ones you love is the best mistake you can make.

My senior year is coming up and I felt bad because I don't have the skills to be a dancer, a basket ball player, ect. But I think about the others who love me and that's all that matters now. I want to cherish my last year of youth. It won't be before long, I'll be an adult trying to please the dreams of my own children.