Horses | Teen Ink

Horses

By liv2411 SILVER, Hawthorne, New Jersey
liv2411 SILVER, Hawthorne, New Jersey

"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sweat dripping down my face, dirt on my jeans with the wind blowing in my hair is what I love the most. Horseback riding is the most magic experience.

When I'm on my horse I feel so connected with him that it's unbelievable. Changing my breathing just so it matches up with his. Reading his body movements like they are my own.

At first I was very afraid of horses but with one of the most important people in my life, my grandfather, encouraging me to do my best I got over that fear pretty quickly.

I've always wanted to be just like my grandfather, ever since I was little. He was and still is the one I look up to.

Putting my whole entire life into the “hands” of a 1,200 pound animal is honestly very nerve wracking. You have to have a lot of trust in the horse you're riding otherwise you're going to be nervous. Horses feed off of your negative energy which means you have a better chance of getting hurt so you should just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

When I get into the saddle that's when life starts. There is no better feeling than accomplishment and being able to ride a horse has made me feel accomplished.

I never really used to know what to talk about with my grandfather but now that we have horses in common it's one of the strongest bonds we have.

While learning, there were times that I just wanted to cry and give up but I knew that my grandfather would not let me. Riding horses and having my grandfather train me honestly made me the person I am today.

There's a lot more to riding than just physically riding, you must take care of your horse. This is my favorite part of the whole horse experience because this is where you bond with the horse. They depend on you to feed them and take care of them. If you treat them well they will return the favor.

Horseback riding is one of the biggest joys in my life and is one of my favorite hobbies. Horses are truly amazing creatures.