The Exact Moment A Friendship Was Formed | Teen Ink

The Exact Moment A Friendship Was Formed

February 1, 2012
By AlexLollland BRONZE, Auburn, California
AlexLollland BRONZE, Auburn, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you simply can not make the right desition, make a destion then make it right.


“We cannot tell the exact moment a friendship is formed; as in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses, there is at last one that makes the heart run over.” – Anonymous
When my family moved 3 years ago I thought I was simply going to die, I was leaving my house I grew up in and my friends I grew up with. What I did not know was that I could do much better then my backstabbing, insecure “friends”. I didn’t know how wonderful good friends could be because I never really had any.


There was a girl named Delaney who lived across the street she was a grade higher then me. We met her family and our mothers exchanged numbers to display on the neighborhood calling list. The next day Delaney called me to see if I wanted to come over. It seemed she was being forced by her mom and did not what to hang out me so I did not want to hang out with a person who didn’t what to be around me. My mom hoaxed me out the door by giving me candy bars for myself and Delaney.



After the “forced friendship” we began to hangout together because we wanted to, we loved the same things, horses, horses, and yep you guessed right, horses. Other then our major horse obsession, we where on the same soccer team and 4-H projects. We both loved reading and shared books, we also where not your average girls. We had fun (and still do, maybe not as vigorously) climbing trees (the hole shebang harnesses and all) metal detecting by old mines on my property and rough housing like boys. My favorite memory was when I accidently pushed Delaney off my porch (which is pretty high) into a bush which she successfully smashed and we ended up blaming it on the dog.



We joke now saying it was definitely the candy bars that sealed the friendship or sarcastically saying “I’m not calling you because I want to, my mom made me!” Now I know what a good friend is one that takes you for you and someone you can be yourself with. I will always remember the push from my family which was hard but the reward from sticking with it exceeds any “friend” I had in the past. “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”


The author's comments:
I think friendships make this life worth living.