Not A Good Idea | Teen Ink

Not A Good Idea

By Kadedra BRONZE, Hartford, Connecticut
Kadedra BRONZE, Hartford, Connecticut

I felt the hot air turning into a cool breeze as I walked down the street examining the green trees turning all shades of yellow, orange, and red. I love the fall, thought it makes me depressed at times, but I find it so peaceful especially when I want to just sit down and think about my life. As I began to approach the porch I checked to see if Angie’s car was in the drive way. Angie is my foster mom. I was a little relieved to know she wasn’t home. I liked when she wasn’t home because I don’t have to hear her complain about everything she hates in the world and then spoil her child like there wasn’t another one that lives with her. As I walked to the front door I knocked on it because (Angie didn’t give me a key yet) and Chad opened the door. Chad was Angie’s oldest and only child; he was 18 and a spoiled brat.
“Hey,” I said as I walked into the house
“What’s up squirt?” he replied
Squirt is the nickname he gave me because he thought he was so much taller than me but, he was only by an inch or two. I walked in the house and was heading upstairs to do my daily routine when I saw a girl in Chad’s room; she was very pretty but must’ve been an idiot to be messing with Chad. I was kind of glad she was there though because I never liked being home alone with Chad, he always made me feel weird. I continued down the hall to my room and opened the door it was the same as I left it this morning everything was clean except for the fact that my bed wasn’t made up. As I began to make my bed I thought about what I was going to do for the rest of the day. Then I heard a car pull up in the driveway, UGH!! I immediately knew it had to be Angie. I’m not sure why but whenever she comes around I just get so anxious. As I finished making my bed I began to do my homework and I heard the front door open.

“I’m home” Angie yelled

“Hi” I said

“Hey mom” Chad yelled
As I continued to do my homework there was a small rumble in my stomach and it made me realize that I haven’t eaten all day so I thought about going to get a snack to hold me until dinner. As I walked down the hall towards the stairs Chad’s room door was open as I walked passed it I saw him get up to close the door and as he shut it I could have sworn that he winked at me and smiled but, maybe I was just seeing things. As I walked down the stairs towards the kitchen I heard pots and pans rumbling.

“What are you making for dinner Angie?” I asked

“I don’t know, what do guys want to eat?” she replied

“It doesn’t matter to me I’ll eat whatever you cook” I said

“Okay” she said

I grabbed a juice and some cookies before I left the kitchen and went back upstairs. As I was on the second flight of stairs I saw Chad and his girl friend coming down the stairs.

“Hi” said the girl

“Hello” I politely replied
I continued to walk up the stairs and as I walked pass Chad I felt a light brush against my lower back, I turned to look at him but he was just facing the other way walking behind his girl friend so I thought nothing of it and just kept heading towards my room. As I just finished my homework I laid down and waited for dinner to be done.

“Dinners ready!” Angie yelled from the kitchen
I walked to the bathroom to wash my hands and went to the kitchen. As soon as I sat down to the table Chad finally decided to grace us with his presence. He sat down at the table and so did Angie.

“So how was your day honey?” Angie asked Chad

“It was okay nothing really new just the same stuff as we always do” he replied

“And what about you KC?” she said

“My day was good I got and “A” on my math test and I just finished my history project” I said

“Good job I’m proud of you keep up the good work” she said
After dinner I did dishes and went to my room. I was happy that Angie told me she was proud of me because I’ve never heard her ask me how my day was or compliment me on doing good. I honestly didn’t even think she cared about me at all. I started getting ready and take a shower, as I walked toward the bathroom I noticed that Chad’s room door was open but, since when does he ever leave his door open I thought to myself. As I turned to go inside the bathroom there he was standing in the door way of it just staring at me up and down as if I were a piece of meat waiting to be demolished by a pack of hungry dogs. I jumped back and almost screamed noticing it was just Chad.
“You’re such a scardy cat” he said
“That’s not funny I can’t help but be scared when it’s really quiet and you’re just lurking around like a predator” I replied in a snotty way
“Yea, yea whatever, just go take your shower” he said still staring at me
I walked in, closed, and locked the bathroom door. I had a weird feeling in my stomach; the kind that you get when you know something’s not right. I always get that feeling when Chad comes around, I don’t know why but I just don’t trust him he makes feel uncomfortable. As I finished taking my shower I decided to just get dressed in the bathroom. I wouldn’t want Chad to pop up out of nowhere and scare me out of my towel. After getting dressed I went to my room got my bag set for the next day of school. I was happy that I didn’t have to go to bed early because if was Friday.
“KC come downstairs I need to talk to you!” Angie yelled from her room
“Okay on my way” I said
I quickly put on my pajamas and threw my towel and dirty clothes in the hamper as I rushed to her room.

“Yes Angie you called” I said to her in a worried voice

“Chad has been aware of this since last week I’ve just been waiting for him to let me know his answer” she said

“Answer to what?” I asked her

“I’m going to New York for the weekend and I asked Chad if he wouldn’t mind watching you until I got back from my trip on Sunday night” she said

“What? Why can’t I stay somewhere else? I don’t want to be here with him, he doesn’t even like me!?” I said trying to make any excuse I could to get out of staying here alone with him

“Now look KC he’s old enough to be here by himself and he’s also old enough to watch you because you’re under age and I can’t leave you somewhere else because everyone else has things to do. Now it’s only for two days don’t be so upset.

“But it’s not fair I don’t want you to go, I mean can’t you take me with you!!? I argued

“No I can’t and I won’t be gone for a long it’s only until Sunday night, I’ll be back sooner than you’ll know” she said
I know she was only saying that to make me feel better, but I couldn’t argue with her anymore she wasn’t going to give in to me. I just might as well accept it.

“Okay fine I’ll stay and put up with him” I said

“Thank you” she said in relief

“Mmhm” I said to her as I began to leave the room

“I’ll be gone by time you get up in the morning because I’m leaving at 5” she said when I got to the door.
As I went back to my room a little upset I saw Chad leaving out of the bathroom he passed right by me but didn’t look at me this time.

“I guess it’s just you and me this weekend squirt” he said in a very serious yet questionable tone
I didn’t answer just hearing him say that made me feel violated for some reason. I was not looking forward to this weekend so I told myself that all I was going to do this weekend was stay in my room unless I needed to eat or use the bathroom. My plan was to avoid Chad as much as I possibly could, thought he’d probably be spending most of his time with that pretty girl he had here today. As I got to my room I closed my door and went to bed.
I heard loud banging like it was coming from my door but I thought I was dreaming I opened my eyes and heard that it was just someone knocking on my door.
“KC...Hey KC!! Get up and get ready for breakfast I cooked” he yelled from the other side of my door.
“Cooked breakfast?” I said to myself
He was still knocking on my door still not sure if I was up yet. I sat up in my bed still wondering if he was playing a joke or if he really cooked breakfast.
“I’m up” I yelled to get him to stop knocking on my door
“Finally” he said as I heard him walk away from my door
I got up and went to the bathroom to take a shower, brush my teeth, and wash my face. Then I put on some sweats and a t-shirt and went to the kitchen.