I Love the Dark | Teen Ink

I Love the Dark

January 30, 2012
By DarkDeliverer BRONZE, Victoria, Texas
DarkDeliverer BRONZE, Victoria, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
But what is all this fear of and opposition to Oblivion? What is the matter with the soft Darkness, the Dreamless Sleep? ~James Thurber


I remember...I remember him. I remember that he was bright. His hair was shaggy and blond. If I were in a good mood, I would say it was like gold. But I’m not. So it was blond. His eyes were blue. If I was to say that his hair was gold, I would say his eyes were like a cloudless sky. But his hair is blond. So his eyes are just plain blue.
I remember that he had a nice smile. He smiled a lot. His teeth were very, very white. I remember wondering how he kept them that white right before he kissed me for the first time. Now, I couldn’t care less if his teeth were purple. And his smile was as just as bright as the rest of him; it lit up my world.
So when he left me, I thought my world would be dark. Without his bright smile, his cloudless-sky eyes, his gold hair, the sun would disappear. He was my sun.
And I was right. My world was so dark I couldn’t see a light at the end of the tunnel. Cuz there wasn’t one. He was the light, and he was gone.
And I was scared of the dark.
But over time, I realized something. I realized that his hair was just plain blond. I realized his eyes were just plain blue. I realized that all I ever got from his brightness was a sunburn.
And I realized something else too. I realized that I didn’t need the light anymore. Anyway, darkness isn’t so bad. Darkness is a time to sleep, a time to heal, a time to dream. You can’t dream in the daytime. Light doesn’t heal.
I love the darkness now. Darkness is wherever he isn’t. So, I love it.
And the sun will rise again at some point. When it does, I’ll be ready. The darkness has healed my sunburns. I have had time to dream a new future.
I’ve learned that the world needs both day and night to thrive. And this much I know is true.

So all you girls who feel like you have lost your light cuz your boyfriend left you. Try to learn what I did. Now the light is gone, sleep, dream. Heal. The darkness isn’t bad.
And the sun will rise again in the morning, a new day.