Writers Block | Teen Ink

Writers Block

By VannaJo BRONZE, Hemet, California
VannaJo BRONZE, Hemet, California

"Today you are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you." ~Dr. Seuss

Every writer has experienced writers block. It’s the worst! You sit and think for what seems like hours and you end up with a scrappy little paragraph that barely makes sense. So you erase the whole thing and try and start over. A million ideas are buzzing around in your head but you can’t find the right words. You’re first idea was the best and you know it, but it’s too late now. I know everyone wishes there was a cure for this disease, but sadly there is not. Sometimes you end up with a very well written paper, this is rare. The majority of the time you encounter writers block, the ending isn’t pretty. You have a dingy paper that you wish you could just throw away, but you know if you do you’ll just be stuck again and nobody wants that. I wouldn’t wish writers block on anyone. It’s a sick thing really and nearly incurable. I’m surprised it isn’t the cause of most deaths.

Maybe I’m being a bit dramatic. But I honestly think writers block is a serious sickness. If only there was a solution. My hope is that one day, someone will find the cure. That some heroic man or woman will end the torture and agony writers block brings to poor, innocent students. It’s not like we even enjoy writing in the first place, so when writers block sneaks into our heads and leaves us confused and tired, it’s not a sight you want to see. It’s a lot like the climax of a horror movie. You sit, and wait, and wait, and wait for the perfect phrase, sentence, word, anything to spark an idea. Until… BAM! You’re brain suddenly explodes! Creative ideas go everywhere and you try to shove them into your head as fast as you can, but it’s too late. They’re long gone and you’re stuck there feeling lost and hopeless, looking like a sack of potatoes.

All you can do is hope your teacher is having a good day and doesn’t really look at what you wrote, but that is never a for sure thing. Maybe you can bribe the teacher and give them something they love. Then you might become the teacher’s pet. Well the moral of the story is, avoid writers block at all costs! It’s a dangerous and life-threatening disease. I hope the day will come when a cure is found.