my life with dysgraphia

Learning to write was a challenge for me. It was hard to make it readable for the teachers. I was trying but I always was messing up. One summer, I had a special teacher that helped me with writing the letters. It helped, but I still had problems. It made me feel like I was different. I felt like it was a bad thing that I was different. I started using a computer at school but the one they gave me didn't work so well. I didn't like having to sit away from my friends to use the computer. The teachers made me use it but I didn't like it. I didn't feel like it helped me very much.

In 6th grade, we looked at different schools I could go to that would help me. We found one that seemed like a good fit. I started using a Macintosh at school which was what I had at home. I didn't have to go to a desk in the way back of the room and I could stay with the rest of the class and do my work. Other kids had similar problems so it made me feel better about myself as a learner. I learned that I am unique and there is no one else in the world who is like me. I learned that typing actually did help me to learn better. Handwriting is still an option but I can type things easier. I learned that there are many strategies I can use to learn better and make things easier to do. I can ask questions and get more attention because the classes are smaller. Not everyone is perfect. Being different from everyone is not such a big deal for me anymore.

Does anyone know what this is called? Its called dysgraphia.It means having problems with writing/spelling and it does not mean problems with reading. People with dysgraphia may also have dyslexia or attention deficit disorder. We are just as smart as everyone else, we just have problems showing it. Famous people with dsylexic dysgraphia include Pres. George Washington, Gen. George Patton, scientist Albert Einstein, and mystery writer Agatha Christie.

rainbowbutterfly :)

Adele said...
Hello, I would love to include this in a book I am writing. Please email me if this would be possible. Many thanks, Adele Devine

waterbendercarorainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 4, 2016 at 11:27 am
if you could give me a way to email you i'd be honored to have it put in your book as long as you give me credit

moderndayEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
AMAZING. That's the only thing I can say. Thanks for sharing this!

wow thank you that means sooo much to me

waterbendercarorainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:07 am
thanks it means a lot. my school does help students who are dysgraphic but not just people with dysgraphia. wish we had a good system where i live so i could stay with my friends

LNFrance said...
Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:53 am
That's great to be abble to testify like This. My son is dysgraphic too.He is almost14 years old now. He work hard to stay in is school, but in france we have a good system for "dys..."kids, which is call PAI = individual project for Kids. With a specialiste the education team detect what is a problem  for the kid and adapt the evaluation process. With this system normaly the kid shouldn't be in academic failure. So it help to be self confident and kid stay with their frei... (more »)

almostcomplete This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like it. :) Good luck with everything.

invisiblerainbowbutterfly101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
thanks that means alot

White_Trash843 said...
Great Job its almost like a small biography!!

rainbowbutterflyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
thanks :) i worked really hard on it

rainbowbutterflyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 7:16 am
wow that must be hard for her and you my school is sposed to help me but it can be crazy

AlaskaGrown said...
Rainbow... I have dyslexia and my sister has dyslexia and dysgraphia and I know how hard it can be... :)

crazycoolcritter said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 10:08 am
wow! thanks you for sharing your story with us. That was really touching. I'm sure many others will benefit and be encouraged with this. Keep on writing! :)

Jan. 13, 2012 at 10:19 am
thanks that means a lot to me :)