sound | Teen Ink

sound

December 20, 2011
By gracemarehart BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
gracemarehart BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As I walk in to White Fox Manor, sounds consume me. I walk down the aisle dirt isle and hear a sound that always makes my heart jump, poles being knocked into by horse hooves. I smile, feeling comfortable. I continue to walk and hear the thump of people jumping off their horses. As I continue deeper into the barn to the stalls I hear the clip clop of hooves that makes me feel home. When I get to that special stall, I hear a neigh and my whole heart smiles. For that sound is the best sound in the world, one that compares to nothing else. I grab my bucket from my locker. I hear the sound of dirt being swept off hair to reveal a shiny coat. I hear leather being cinched up to a snug position, then the screeching sound of metal being chewed. I climb on. I hear the soft rhythm of hooves beneath me. As I go around the arena I hear the familiar sound of trainers yelling critiques and directions to their riders. The sound of metal against wooden walls pulls me back into focus. As I head for a jump, the only sound that can be heard is my racing heart.