The Dolf On The Shelf | Teen Ink

The Dolf On The Shelf

By SwallowedByInsanity PLATINUM, Hillsdale, New Jersey
SwallowedByInsanity PLATINUM, Hillsdale, New Jersey

"Love is a poison, but it is also the antidote."

Dear Boy,

This is your toy doll speaking. Yes, you know the Barbie you tossed onto the shelf after a month because you grew bored of her? Hey there, that’s me. I’m aware you’re silly biological make-up has programmed you to see me in this manner, but I’d like to alert you that I’m not quite made of plastic. A little box in my chest sings out a never-ending lullaby, sometimes growing in tempo or slowing down. Occasionally it beats out its rhythm so fast it misses a few notes here and there, skipping around on the sheet music. This little box inside my chest told me to trust you with every fiber in my being.

“He’s different than the other boys.” It said. “He’s careful and sweet, he knows how to treat girls like a gentleman.”

You always mumbled out numerous apologies if you thought you might have harmed me even in the slightest. This gave me false hope you see, because I never looked too closely at what lay within. My eyes and the walls you put up had guarded me from anything beyond your exterior appearance. We loved and we laughed and we loved some more. But I guess not even all of my loving could keep you from growing bored.

I gave you gifts and showered you with kisses, but you threw me aside like an old toy you no longer wanted. Just a plastic doll on the shelf. I could patiently await the day you pick me up to play again, but I’m afraid you were mistaken. These “plastic” legs and arms are no longer yours for the taking.

So the next time you go searching for me and my huge heart on the shelf, I’m afraid all you’ll find is an empty space. It’s quite similar to the void you placed in my chest that night. That night you phoned me with some news. I am no longer your muse. So I bid you farewell, and good luck with your issues, because I’m done weeping beside a box of tissues.

Sincerely,

The doll on the shelf

Yet another diary excerpt about a stupid boy.

on Mar. 28 2012 at 9:29 pm

yes! I know, and I'm embarrassed I didn't catch that before submitting it, but you can't edit pieces that are already posted so... it's stuck that way I suppose. I wish TeenInk staff would spell check.

on Mar. 18 2012 at 3:11 pm
Special-Ice-Apples GOLD, Pinedale, Arizona

"Love is just a word until someone special comes along and gives it a meaning."

"I love walking in the rain, 'cause then no one can tell I'm crying."

"Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain."

wow.....this is so beautiful! i love it! 5 stars!

on Mar. 17 2012 at 6:12 am
Eshshah PLATINUM, Galloway, New Jersey

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

hey, this is pretty good! nice concept, but er.. you know the title is "dolF on the shelf?" don't you mean doll? but anyway, it's a good, sad story- I like it, though next time maybe liven up your sentence structure.  four stars!

on Mar. 16 2012 at 5:07 pm
Tatiel PLATINUM, Washington, Vermont

Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
~Mark Twain

I really, really like this. It is so raw and emotion-filled, and honest. Very beautiful and touching. The writing style is kind of different, like beautifulspirit said...but I think that's kind of the point here. It's your voice coming through. And I really like it =)

All I can say is, keep writing. Don't stop letting all that's in your heart get out on paper. =) It hurts less that way. *hugs* 

on Mar. 16 2012 at 8:34 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Hey I saw your post in the forums and I just had to read your piece. Hopefully, this is the article you were referring to. Well, let me just say that while this wasn't my favorite story of yours, I don't think it deserves a rating of one star. Now, your idea behind this article was interesting. It kinda reminded me of Toy Story, when kids grow up and discard their old toys. This was a letter written by a doll to a child to let that child know that dolls have feelings too and are not made of plastic. Maybe this was better said in a poem or something. I don't know, but your article was okay. Definitely not a one. Hope this helps and good luck~