For the people who still care

Dear person that cares,

Yesterday this really nice girl in my homeroom gave me a beautiful picture. It was of my teacher. It was beautiful because he was smiling and to me, smiling is always beautiful. I was very pleased with this picture and I thought to myself that this girl is very sweet. So, I told her that I was very thankful of this picture and since Christmas is approaching, I was going to buy her a present. I thought that was a good thing to do.

She smiled at me when I said this to her. But, then she told me something that I will never forget, no matter how hard I try. She said this: “Ok, but this year my family can’t afford to buy anyone presents.”

This made me very sad. Not that she couldn’t buy me a present, I didn’t care about that because the picture she gave me was in my opinion, already enough. It made me sad because I could see that things at home for her aren’t as easy as they are for me.

I remember her once mentioning that her dad left her when she was very young and that her brother has bi – polar disorder. I felt bad for her, truly. I met her mother twice and she is a very nice woman. I guess what really made me sad was that even terrible things happen to the best of people.

Thanks for understanding,

Stella