Elephant's Memory | Teen Ink

Elephant's Memory

Abuse. Physical, verbal, emotional, mental, sexual, and a lot more. this is my personal story about being Abused physically, mentally, emotionally, and verbally daily for a year and a half. He was someone who was supposed to be my best friend. And there's no denying he was for a while. And then, things changed fast. He was suddenly drawing back. It stared when he smacked me in the face for the first time. At the time, I thought nothing of it. As time passed it got worse, and a lot more frequent, for a while it was just an occasional punch or kick, I passed it off as a joke a friendly gesture and nothing more. But, the longer it went on- the worse it got, there was kicking, jabbing, smacking, spitting, punching, throwing, biting,choking, bruising and even leaving me to the point where i could barely move. I don't know why i didn't leave sooner. I can still feel his finger nails digging into my arm calling me a w****, a freak, telling me i might as well kill myself because everyone would be better off- as time grew i began to believe those things myself. I remember the flash of immense pain ad his fist glided into my face- knocking me against the concrete wall. To this day i can feel each sharp flash of pain while he relentlessly kicked me while i was on the ground. Choking me until i was blue in the face and almost blacking out. I remember his fake apologies. I forced myself to believe him because i couldn't bring myself to believe he really was a monster. I couldn't begin to fathom it. Every day i smiled and assured him he was forgiven, then later being faced with so much abuse, then in my room alone at night drowning in tears and hurt. Emotionally and mentally beating myself calling myself a looser, weak, and stupid. I can still recall falling asleep hoping never to wake up again, that way i wouldn't have to face him ever again. I remember having to cover the bruises with make up and hide my true pain from my family and friends. I was terrified. I lived like this for so long until i finally broke down on the phone with my grandma. I got out. And even though the monster is gone. His words and actions will forever haunt me. Even though he's gone. He'll always be a part of me. As much as I would like to pretend it didn't happen I know I can't force myself to believe that lie. The monster absolutely destroyed my self-esteem and self-worth. And I know he's gone, he'll never hurt me again, he's stained into my heart, and I don't think I'll ever be able to forget him. When good things happen we savor them, but eventually loose complete memory of them. When things traumatic like this happen, We all have an Elephant's Memory...

This story is 100% true. I wrote it because it's been eating away at me for a while. I hope this can help someone if anyone else is going through this, please get help.

on Dec. 25 2011 at 3:28 pm
xXYourxRainXx BRONZE, Moyock, North Carolina

"Don't be afraid of shadows, it only means there's a light nearby" -Amy lee

Thank you so much it's really great to have support from people like you, and others who have written supportive comments it really means the world to me

on Dec. 21 2011 at 5:42 pm
Anonymousme GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so whoever believes in hill will not die but have eternal life.

Dreams are what make us who we are, a life without dreams is like a life without air.

This is really very good and I love the part about an elephant's memory. I know what you are going through and this is a perfect description that really puts you in the mindset of the character. When you write you're life story, I'll be the first one in line.

on Dec. 21 2011 at 2:13 pm
AnjiliSladen BRONZE, Stuttgart, Other

"There's nothing ONLY about being a girl"-Sarah Jane Smith, Doctor Who

Really really nicely written. made me tear up.

on Dec. 21 2011 at 2:06 pm
Plain-Jane ELITE, Grandview, Missouri

"And the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their Shepherd. He will guide them to springs of living water; and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." Revelation 7:17

That is so sad! I could feel the emotion in the words! you might want to have someone edit the spelling and capitalization and verb tenses

KylaBoo said...
on Dec. 21 2011 at 2:04 pm
Very moving, i hope this is just a piece and not reality.

Inspirus GOLD said...
on Dec. 12 2011 at 7:09 am
Inspirus GOLD, Mombasa, Other
Hi rain. I'm sorry for all you went through. I'm glad you pulled through and even you have the strength to share you experience. Literature is not only about grammar,you have shown that. Kudos!

on Dec. 11 2011 at 10:38 am
AnimaCordis GOLD, London, Other

"Evil is when the good do nothing"

I feel so bad for you, I'm glad you got out of it even if it did take you a long time. It happens more than I thought, abuse that is. It must feel like a great weight off your chest now, I wish ypu to be strong and move on!

izyfizy GOLD said...
on Dec. 11 2011 at 10:33 am
izyfizy GOLD, Alameda, California

You all laugh because I'm different,
I laugh because you're all the same.
- Anonymous

Oh MY GOSHHHH!!! I AM SOOOO SORRY !!!! if ANYBODY treats you that HORRIBLY, leave them. Immediatly. (spelling please?), and just remember: EVERYONE THAT LOVES YOU HERE, WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. (because thats how you tell if somebody really loves you, they'll stick with you AND be kind and Loving!) well, izyfizy wuvs yah!!! <3333333333333

on Dec. 11 2011 at 10:28 am
youngspeare BRONZE, Nairobi, Other

We wouldn't ask a rose that grew from the concrete for having damaged petals; in turn we'd all celebrate its tenacity, we'd all love tz will to reach the sun well we are the roses n these are my damaged petals don't ask me why thank God and ask me how

Rain..omg! This is awesome, correction it's perfect! I almost shed a tear. Your story has literally touched me..you are so strong for having through all that! Hats off to you!

Fizza SILVER said...
on Dec. 11 2011 at 10:18 am
Fizza SILVER, Raipur, Other

uh, what happend to it? It look weird. 

Well I wanted to say that the article is very good & the last 2 lines are really true. 4/5 from me. nice work. :)

Neytiri GOLD said...
on Dec. 11 2011 at 10:16 am
Neytiri GOLD, Hilo, Hawaii

Live as if you'll die today. Dream as if you'll live forever.

Wow! That is really mind-bogglingly amazing honey!! Well done. Very emotional but very, very good!! There is literally a tear in my eye babe!! <3<3<3 x x x

Fizza SILVER said...
on Dec. 11 2011 at 10:15 am
Fizza SILVER, Raipur, Other
en. loveVery nicely writt

on Dec. 11 2011 at 10:08 am
destinylover BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

anything by winnie the pooh

as a story it can use some help, spelling issues, grammar. as a true event its pretty sad and yeah read this yall

Chrysaora GOLD said...
on Dec. 11 2011 at 10:03 am
Chrysaora GOLD, Providence Forge, Virginia
We all do have painful memories; some more painful than most. Thanks for sharing

on Dec. 11 2011 at 10:01 am
Wildflower30 SILVER, Kolkata, Other

Create your own sayings, for only then do they make sense most. ---- Me

The analogy is great. And true, we all do have such memories. Mental or no. It's really, really good, sans some spelling mistakes.