Elephant's Memory | Teen Ink

Elephant's Memory

Abuse. Physical, verbal, emotional, mental, sexual, and a lot more. this is my personal story about being Abused physically, mentally, emotionally, and verbally daily for a year and a half. He was someone who was supposed to be my best friend. And there's no denying he was for a while. And then, things changed fast. He was suddenly drawing back. It stared when he smacked me in the face for the first time. At the time, I thought nothing of it. As time passed it got worse, and a lot more frequent, for a while it was just an occasional punch or kick, I passed it off as a joke a friendly gesture and nothing more. But, the longer it went on- the worse it got, there was kicking, jabbing, smacking, spitting, punching, throwing, biting,choking, bruising and even leaving me to the point where i could barely move. I don't know why i didn't leave sooner. I can still feel his finger nails digging into my arm calling me a w****, a freak, telling me i might as well kill myself because everyone would be better off- as time grew i began to believe those things myself. I remember the flash of immense pain ad his fist glided into my face- knocking me against the concrete wall. To this day i can feel each sharp flash of pain while he relentlessly kicked me while i was on the ground. Choking me until i was blue in the face and almost blacking out. I remember his fake apologies. I forced myself to believe him because i couldn't bring myself to believe he really was a monster. I couldn't begin to fathom it. Every day i smiled and assured him he was forgiven, then later being faced with so much abuse, then in my room alone at night drowning in tears and hurt. Emotionally and mentally beating myself calling myself a looser, weak, and stupid. I can still recall falling asleep hoping never to wake up again, that way i wouldn't have to face him ever again. I remember having to cover the bruises with make up and hide my true pain from my family and friends. I was terrified. I lived like this for so long until i finally broke down on the phone with my grandma. I got out. And even though the monster is gone. His words and actions will forever haunt me. Even though he's gone. He'll always be a part of me. As much as I would like to pretend it didn't happen I know I can't force myself to believe that lie. The monster absolutely destroyed my self-esteem and self-worth. And I know he's gone, he'll never hurt me again, he's stained into my heart, and I don't think I'll ever be able to forget him. When good things happen we savor them, but eventually loose complete memory of them. When things traumatic like this happen, We all have an Elephant's Memory...

This story is 100% true. I wrote it because it's been eating away at me for a while. I hope this can help someone if anyone else is going through this, please get help.

xXYourxRainXx BRONZE, Moyock, North Carolina

"Don't be afraid of shadows, it only means there's a light nearby" -Amy lee

No problem:) Defiantly get out of the situation if you're in it just find help:)

WhiteWings GOLD, Houston, Texas

Nothing lasts forever on this Earth. Smile

W.O.W. I wish I could relate. I mean from experiance and not just watching as I have. But if you let yourself you will eventually forget so you can forgive.

vail09 SILVER said...
vail09 SILVER, Austell, Georgia

*love is not lost just simpily forgotten*

this is just like me and my freind...i mean..thank you...i could ever let myself tell anyone this..

Naman BRONZE said...
Naman BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other

What you believe is what you become!!

well written..just have a little faith!

BellaChance PLATINUM, Steinenbronn, Other

Even the smallest person can chance the course of the future. -J.R.R. Tolkien

stay strong. keep writing. keep smiling. great job.

alexb42621 PLATINUM, Brecksville, Ohio

"To err is human."

What's even more amazing is you had the courage and the will power to tell someone. Too many people keep it bottled up inside and they end up imploding. Also, prison or whatever happened to him doesn't do justice to what he put you through. Only if he goes through that will he fully understand what he's done. And that's the sad truth. That the abuser usually never is the victim, so they can never fathom how they greatly altered the other person's mentality and self esteem.

Plain-Jane ELITE, Grandview, Missouri

"And the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their Shepherd. He will guide them to springs of living water; and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." Revelation 7:17

i love the way you tied it in with the cool phrase "elephant's memory". it was very well written!

EmmettHerculeLaFave SILVER, Tucson, Arizona

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again." -Thomas Paine

Very well done and emotional. Makes me feel bad about all those freshman I beat up every day.

alexb42621 PLATINUM, Brecksville, Ohio

"To err is human."

Oh my god. I have a friend who went through the exact same thing. Seeing her feel the guilt kills me. She thinks it's her fault. How do you get over the guilt? Have you gotten over it? If you have can you give her some advice about it? It worries me, seeing her like this. It was so unfortunate that this wasn't in Fiction.

CaptainStar BRONZE, Estancia, New Mexico

Your limit is what you make it.

This was very interesting. Great wtiting too.

It's not a story it's actually happened, i didn't want to add names out of courtesy for the "monster

Jappyalldayeveryday, Detroit, Michigan

They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye

This is powerful. Maybe give the best friend and main character names, making it more personal? Do you think you could check out my short story History Project?

DreamInTheRain SILVER, Nevada City, California

Music, It Runs Through My Veins Like A River, Lyrics Flow To The Beat Of Sound.

Oh and I cant say Im sorry, because thats HIS job and his job alone, but i can say that when your broken, it takes time to mend, but you'll be happy your whole... :) I feel pain too because of my past, but sometimes the past can help make a better future, if u want

This brought tears to my eyes because I could never EVER imagine the pain you went through. A best friend... That horrid..

Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington

" Times you see, is a little arrangement that man has made for himself to try to measure the immeasurable mysteries of life." -Calypso to Ulysses (Bernard Evslin.)
"You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body" - CS Lewis

Ugh! Freaky! I can't imagine what it would be like if *my* best friend abused me. That would be a really dramatic and horrible change :(

RandyA. GOLD said...
RandyA. GOLD, Bergenfield, New Jersey

What goes up must come down

great writting.. am impressed. sorry for everything that happend. Its good the monster is out of your life, even thou u still leave with the fear and memories, at last ur free. good you came out to let ur grandma know, u waited to much but it good to have patienc somehow. he really hurt u

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

dont give up she will talk someday my friend made this quote she is really cool cause she understands about my sister
it starts with ONE to make a differerence!!! i learned this quote at a leadership camp

ohana means family no one gets left behind

thats really good

writerchicka PLATINUM, Phoenix, Arizona

Forget love-- I\'d rather fall in chocolate!!! - Sandra J. Dykes

This is really good writing. There are tears in my eyes.

InvisibleHeart GOLD, Barony, Other
Very powerful. Brilliant work

HiddenAngelInTheDark PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

Theres so many that I can't pick sorry

I can relate in a way its very beautiful n deep in emotion please keep writing