My First Wedding | Teen Ink

My First Wedding

By jbirke27 BRONZE, Commack, New York
jbirke27 BRONZE, Commack, New York

Thursday had come and it was my cousin's wedding. My mom had been talking about this day ever since she got her invitation. She said she was the baby in the family and now her cousin's daughter is getting married. She wondered how the heck that happened. She was so excited for the wedding it was almost annoying. My dad, my brother, and I were not equally animated. Weddings seem like they can be boring. I have never been to one before but that is my assumption. This was the first wedding my brother and I will be attending.

My mother had been telling my brother and I that we needed suits for quite some time. Shopping for suits was not even close to what I had expected it to be. It was actually a hysterical experience. It was great laughing at each other in our suits, some way to small or way too big. I must say that I looked pretty fresh in the suit I picked out. My brother picked out a shiny suit that my mom absolutely hated. She said that it was too flashy, but that’s my brother. She wasn't so mad after found out that it was buy one get two free. She wouldn't have to pay for that ghastly suit after all.

When the time came for the wedding our outfits were pressed and ready to go. I had a new shirt, tie, belt, socks, and even new shoes. The works. My dad told all of us that we needed to be ready by four o'clock. This was exceedingly early but my mom is always late. As I thought about what was to come I figured that the wedding must only be fun if you are the bride or the groom.

We were finally off to the receptions. It took place at Crest Hollow Country Club. It was really fancy and even in my suit, I felt underdressed. We arrived and the cocktail hour was great. There was only one problem and it was the guy singing. He was way too loud, you practically had to scream at each other to talk. The food was fantastic, there was endless amounts of food to eat. Everyone was having a good time talking eating and enjoying the evening.

My aunt from Florida came to the wedding. It was shocking to see her. I hadn't seen her in almost six years. She was very excited to see the family. We talked about old times and had a lot of catching up to do. We talked about a bunch of stuff along with my brothers college and my lacrosse mostly. It seemed as though we never stopped talking. It was nice to see my aunt and cousins again.

The reception was interesting, there was music from the 80's and people dancing like maniacs, it was crazy. Pictures were bring taken, drinks were drank, conversations took place, it was just a lot of fun. They even had a man at a station making fresh cigars for the older men. My brother and father had two rolled for them. The adults went out on the patio and smoked there stogies. A bunch of Italian men on a patio smoking cigars, what a site. They then realized that it was thirty degrees with ten mile an hour winds so they came inside freezing from the cold.

All in all it was an average affair. My parents seemed like they had fun and I guess my brother and I did also. It was mainly a time for family to get together and be crazy and celebrate the marriage of my cousin.

This is a true story about the first wedding that i have ever attended.