Austrailia<3 | Teen Ink

Austrailia<3

November 29, 2011
By Kelley Ambrose BRONZE, Horsham, Pennsylvania
Kelley Ambrose BRONZE, Horsham, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

‘Beeep…Beeep…Bee-“Hello?” my mom answered the phone, excited.

“Mom? Mom? Can you hear me?” I said. The background noise blocked out her voice, making it hard to hear.

“Congratulations Kelley!” she exclaimed. “You made it! You’re going to Australia!”

“Oh my gosh!” I screamed. I couldn’t believe it! Here I was, at my dad’s on Friday, at 9:20 pm. In a little less than a year, I’d be in Australia, swimming the Great Barrier Reef, snuggling koalas, and hopping along with kangaroos.

I quickly ran into the living room, where my dad, stepmom, &amp; cousins were. I repeated what my mom said. They all said congrats and then I continued to call about 8 more people before I sat down again, happily watching “SpongeBob.”

The program I’m in is called People to People. A few years ago, a teacher nominated me to go to England &amp; France. I didn’t go that year because there was conflict in those countries. Last year, I was nominated yet again by a teacher to go to Canada. We decided to save up for Australia instead. I went to the informational meeting, scheduled an interview, and made it in above the other dozens of kids who wanted to go too. This means so much to me! There are photo contests and writing contests about the trip that could help me win a scholarship! If I get a really good picture of the sun setting by the Sydney Opera House, or an awesome writing piece on how beautiful it is, I have a chance at getting a scholarship. It’s not just that, though. Around 90% of students who have People to People program on their college application get into their 1st choice college. I’m going to get my passport soon. I’m so excited and this is going to be a fantastic experience.


The author's comments:
Please read and comment with your suggestions, nothing mean please! I was assigned to do this for my Language Arts class, and thought it was a good idea.