Deaf Heaven | Teen Ink

Deaf Heaven

November 26, 2011
By saatvikarathor GOLD, Bangalore, Other
saatvikarathor GOLD, Bangalore, Other
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My parents always tell me to be thankful for what I have. Are deaf-mute children thankful for what they have? Thinking about it makes me wonder.

Then I just know what it is that they live for. They’re thankful for being happy, even when it’s tinged with sadness. They believe that they’re lucky, because things could have turned out worse. They’re happy that they understand the meaning of love. Many people they know can’t.

They’re thankful for their vision, because who cares if you can’t hear. All they want is to see everything around them, and they just can’t get enough of our world. They’re thankful for their best friends; the ones they wouldn’t have made somewhere else. They have this mutual understanding, sometimes brought on by a smirk or a single gesture. So who needs words anyway?

They believe that they were born to help heal this beautiful world. To them their impairment isn’t a crutch; it’s a reason to ask for something else. They haven’t been let down by anyone, they just have points yet to be redeemed.

These children don’t regret their life. Even if they did it wouldn’t matter. Each one of them is guaranteed a place in Heaven.

You can believe me, I've known these feelings.

I don’t want to regret my life.