Nature's Beauty Challenged | Teen Ink

Nature's Beauty Challenged

November 23, 2011
By cbods12 BRONZE, Congers, New York
cbods12 BRONZE, Congers, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Nature remains the most destructive yet most beautiful force on the planet. Time and time again humans experience its eloquence, grace, and violence. When stepping outside, I immediately lose the sense of security and predictability I possess indoors. I shudder as cold, damp rain rhythmically falls on my bare skin. The grass and leaves drip with moisture from the slow, deliberate raindrops. The leaves have begun to change into magnificent oranges and reds with a sprinkling of green from those leaves that have not yet made their fall transformation. The rough, coarse bark of the oak trees hints that a cold and rugged winter is on the horizon. The squirrels, busily gathering nuts for the winter, use these immense trees as their own private jungle. A cool autumn breeze gently rustles the dripping leaves. Suddenly, I hear a bird cawing high above me. Looking up, I witness the bird flying off into the distance until it is completely out of sight. Looking at the dreary sky I wonder what it would be like to be a cloud, drifting on the gentle breeze.

As I ponder the sky and its enormity, I see a plane flying. Although normally I think nothing of planes, this soaring aircraft angers me because I realize that man has invaded every aspect of nature, even the vast sky. Humans constantly destroy forests and pollute rivers. They drill into the ground for fossil fuels and cause oil leaks. These environmental atrocities make it impossible to observe nature in its most gorgeous forms. The dramatic climate changes and countless natural disasters may be nature’s way of telling humans that unless something changes, it will be completely obliterated. However, if people learn to appreciate nature then maybe, just maybe, natural beauty will be preserved.