A Little bit about being An American Muslim

By , Des Moines, IA
Living in Iowa as a Muslim is hard in itself. Being a Muslim in the Nation of Islam is even harder. For one all the other Muslim's that live here don't understand the fact that I'm not Arab, African, or Bosnian. I'm BLACK as in African American, born and raised in America.in my city there's only a handful of NOI Muslim's. Your probably thinking "What is an NOI Muslim?" Well an NOI Muslim follows the basic principles of Islam as in we call God Allah, we don't eat pork, we believe in all the prophets, and we celebrate Ramadan, The difference between an NOI Muslim and (for example) an Arab one is that we follow under Louis Farrakhan he leads the Nation of Islam, an African American movement that combined elements of Islam with black nationalism. The NOI also incorporates politics, science, and modern history into many of our principles and discussions.I know the description i put says black nationalism but there are many different races that make up the NOI. My religion has many rules, so sometimes i feel like an outcast from my Christian friends because they seem to be able to do whatever they want, but I love my religion and i really couldn't picture myself as anything else but a Muslim.