Slipping Away | Teen Ink

Slipping Away

Whenever we hung out, we were best friends. I never ever thought that could be broken. We knew eachother in a way that no one else could. You brought me to tears I’d always laugh so hard, and every time, you’d join me. I’ll never forget the moments we had, all those inside jokes, too many to count. I really want to thank you for the fun days, just when I was bored you’d make some weird face that would send me literally rolling on the floor with laughter. We were such good friends that we’d laugh at eachother and it wouldn’t matter. There was a summer when we spent days in a row together. The next, I called you up a few times, and you’d call me too. Last summer, we saw eachother a few times at the pool, but I missed sitting in your back yard, making mud pits, throwing buckets of freezing water at eachother. I missed climbing around in the attic, screaming at all the spiders you’d pretend to throw on my head. I missed the days when we were all in the same group, and we’d always sit together at lunch. This summer, I saw you once. That one time, we hung out all day and went to the moonlight swim. All your other friends were there, and I thought you’d probably abandon me to go be with them. But you didn’t. You stayed. And even though you probably didn’t realize, that meant a lot to me. Two at a time, they’d come over and pester you. They’d ask you why you were mad at them, why you wouldn’t talk to them. They’d tell you they didn’t like being your friend if you were going to be like this. I could see you trying to pull away, trying to escape but they wouldn’t let it go. Tears filled your eyes, but you wouldn’t let them fall. You held it all in just so I wouldn’t see it. I didn’t know it was like this. I didn’t know that these people weren’t really your friends. I felt so bad that night. The sky turned darker and darker, and the lights under the glassy surface were dim, so it was hard to make out your face as you turned away, but I was really sorry. I was really sorry I didn’t say anything. I didn’t know what I could say. I don’t know what it’s like to have so many friends that are against you. Just know that I’m not against you. I’m here if you ever need to laugh again, and I’d be happy to hang out this summer. I know that we’re drifting farther apart. I might never spend a weekend with you again, but I hope I can. That night, I understood that I didn’t know you the same way I used to. That night, your friendship slipped away underwater, slowly disappearing from the surface. I watched it go, maybe never to come back again. I hoped that last ripple would never fade away, but it has to. Just know that I’ll always remember when it was still there.

I was inspired to write this piece because of a friend I had, and it is my memory of our friendship as it fades away with time.