The Adventure of a Lifetime | Teen Ink

The Adventure of a Lifetime

By sTeFaNiEmArViN BRONZE, Greenwood, Wisconsin
sTeFaNiEmArViN BRONZE, Greenwood, Wisconsin

I looked up at this monstrous 8-story structure that I was about to be hanging from with only a thin cord keeping my face from hitting the pavement. I thought to myself, “What am I about to do?”

Both Mariah and I began to get pulled to the top of Mighty Hermes. As we were lifted higher, and the people grew smaller, my heart began to beat faster. I looked next to me and Mariah wasn’t the least bit nervous. How could she be so calm? Mariah was usually a huge coward. If anything I expected to have to calm her down, not the other way around. Seeing her remain perfectly calm made me relax a little, but I was still scared for my life.

After what seemed like forever, we finally reached the top. At the bottom the worker held up three fingers. As each finger disappeared I got more butterflies in my stomach. Finally, the last finger vanished. I squeezed my eyes as tight as possible and ripped the cord free sending both of us freefalling towards the ground.

On the first initial drop I felt my stomach do a somersault, but from then on it was the most amazing experience. I felt like I was flying. I once again looked over at Mariah and she couldn’t stop smiling. I was so glad I did this, and I had a feeling that I wouldn’t have been able to overcome my fears, if it hadn’t been for Mariah.

This is an essay that I wrote as an assignment in my English class. It was required that I cut it down to under 250 words, and therefore it is exactly 249. It is about the time my friend and I went on an attraction at the Mt. Olympus Water and Theme Park that was called Might Heremes.