They are Special | Teen Ink

They are Special

October 23, 2011
By KatyPie97 GOLD, Eatonville, Washington
KatyPie97 GOLD, Eatonville, Washington
14 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
We're going to need a bigger boat


After I cheered on the bowlers at the Special Olympics bowling event, I cried, then I thought. The more that I thought, the more I had too say...

They are special, and I don't mean "Special". To call them retarded in a mean or derogatory way should make you want to curl up in a corner and die. If you have ever made fun of a Special Needs person or a handicapped person, SHAME ON YOU!

These people are complete human beings with hearts and feelings just the same as you and me, and to treat them in any other way is just horrible. I received so many hugs, fist bumps, high fives, and kind words today that my body and my heart are both sore. The people who I worked with were plenty capable of bowling, sure they weren't the best, but neither are we. If you could have only seen their faces light up every time that I said a kind and encouraging word your heart would have melted and the tears would be streaming just like mine were. All they want is love, just the same as any of us.

When you are at school, do not call your friends, teachers, or anyone else retarded. It is not okay. You do not understand what you are saying, and you should treat those words like the "N-word" and other derogatory names; taboo. Special Needs people are still people, they just need a little extra help, and don't we all?

They are special. They are a gift to remind us of how lucky we are; and that we should love everyone and always be kind, just the way they are. They are special, and you should try to be their friend, that is all they want. Think about this the next time you call someone retarded, or make fun of a Special Needs person; They are Special, They are a Gift.

The author's comments:
I cheered on the participants in the Special Olympics bowling, which really caused me to reflect on how I used the word "retarded".