Unmarked Trail | Teen Ink

Unmarked Trail

October 18, 2011
By Hersheydog1326 GOLD, Fairfield, Connecticut
Hersheydog1326 GOLD, Fairfield, Connecticut
10 articles 2 photos 1 comment

More than 22 million American adults currently own an iPod- that’s over 11% of the population. Studies have shown that men are 50% more likely than women to own an iPod, although the number of women who own an iPod is rapidly increasing. Internet users are 4 times more likely than non-internet users to purchase an iPod, and 20% of adults under the age of 30 own an iPod. In a world run by tunes and beats, there is always a song to share. Nowadays wherever you go there’s music playing. Music can tell our whole life in just three minutes.
Throughout my childhood I lived on “Sesame Street”. When I was younger I was an actress on Sesame Street. Although I was just a background person, the experience was life changing. I remember when I was younger I was just like any other kid. I wanted to become an actor or actress. I was only five when I got my first acting job on Sesame Street. The set was in New York at park that had some basketball courts and a playground. It truly was a “sunny day”. My mom and I walked around the set amazed by how much effort that was put into one shooting. I was brought to the trailer for hair and make-up. I remember pretending like I was a superstar smiling for pictures. Thinking to myself that I was, “On my way to where the air is sweet”-the land of television. I had such a great time acting for this piece I even went on to do a few more films. This experience changed my life because it led me to pass the phase of un-realalistic jobs quicker than other children. This allowed me to think about other jobs. At the age of eight I knew what I wanted to be and where I wanted to go to school. To this day I still want to become a type of engineer and go to MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). The only decision to make is what type of engineer I want to become; a biochemical, electrical or environmental engineer? My dream college is still the same, but in order to get into that college I have to focus in high school.

High school is a rollercoaster with its fast pace curriculum. Between school work, sports and friends there is barely time to rest. The song 15 by Taylor Swift can voice the way every single child that walks through those doors and becomes an adult.
You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors
It's the morning of your very first day
And you say hi to your friends you ain't seen in a while
Try and stay out of everybody's way
This is how I felt as I walked through the doors of Fairfield Warde High School on my very first day. It was just so overwhelming. To see all those strangers in the hallway, the fact that my friends would not be there at lunch with me or be in the same homeroom with me was shocking. That first day I was one little freshmen surrounded by a sea of strangers. As the year progressed I was able to understand why high school was scheduled like this. If your friends are not in your lunch period, you have the opportunity to make new friends and the same goes for homeroom. Although homeroom is only seven minutes long you are with the same people for all four years of high school. The time adds up to over 85 hours throughout your years at high school. This opportunity erases the cliques made in past years and allows for individuals to branch out and meet other people:
You sit in class next to a redhead named Abigail
And soon enough you're best friends
Even though it has only been about four weeks, I have already been able to make multiple new friends with many students coming from Rodger Ludlowe Middle School. In high school everything changes; your friends, attitude, hope and dreams.
Everything changes in high school to shape our future. The future is so crucial to a person’s life even if they don’t know what lies ahead. But there are some things that we do know about. Take graduation for example. The song “I’ll always remember you” by Hannah Montana voices how I might feel in the future on my graduation day:
I always knew this day would come
We’d be standing one by one
With our future in our hands
So many dreams so many plans

Always knew after all these years
There’d be laughter there’d be tears
But never thought that I’d walk away
with so much joy but so much pain
And it’s so hard to say goodbye
This is how I may feel in the future. “I always knew this day would come” and so did my family and friends. I can picture lines of anxious students, standing there thoughts running through their heads. “We’d be standing one by one/With our future in our hands/So many dreams so many plans”. Everyone that I had grown up with would be experiencing the same thing and thinking the same thoughts. And in that moments the thoughts of “Always knew after all these years/There’d be laughter there’d be tears/But never thought that I’d walk away /with so much joy but so much pain” the thought of we get to move on with our life’s and this was just the first chapter sounds appealing, to be apart of the world on your own. But also the pain of pretty much leaving your whole life in one little town is terrifying. It would just be “So hard to say goodbye.”
“Hello!” is just one of the things I aspire to say to the “road of success”. Ever since I was little I had always kept in mind the “what was around the corner for me?” I did things for my life to come. Things like taekwondo and soccer although I enjoy them they are also good for the next chapter of my life. I think about my fate for everything I do. I think about how what I do could affect it. By doing this I will create a great future for myself. Everything I do add up to my life as a whole, from past to present it is all important and everything important has a song to describe it.
Throughout my life there has always been a song to describe my feeling or the situation I was in. From sad to happy or lonely to overwhelmed. The power of music shows that no matter what I am not alone. Someone out there, even though I may not know who or when is feeling or felt the same way I do or did. Music to me is like a trail, guiding me to the top of a mountain. There may be a few streams or unmarked trails on my way but music helps me find where I want to go.