Spirit | Teen Ink

Spirit

By Khalida BRONZE, Quincy, Indiana
Khalida BRONZE, Quincy, Indiana

"People want to know why I do this, why I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy... and I keep it in a jar on my desk." -Stephen King

Living your whole childhood in complete darkness can be pretty tormenting. Having to fear coming home because you know you'll have to do an infinite list of jobs and if you refuse? Get beaten and yelled at. Parents obsessively controlling your life can get very stressful. They control your music, clothing, friends, and privileges. They control your life. As you sit on the sidelines and watch your friends and family grow up. Surpass you, and move on with their lives.

How does that make you feel? What if all your friends abandon you for the popular, more exciting life because your parents hold you back? Watching every second of your life tick by as the world swims around you in a flailing blur.

Do you wish your life would end? Do you feel as if you should run and hide? Do you want to pick up and leave your old life behind? Do you seek help? Do act as if nothing is happening? Do you look at the brighter side of things? Do you say, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."? But what happens when it does kill you?

There is different kinds of killing, though. Your parents could kill you physically by murdering you or driving you to suicide. They could kill you mentally and make you go insane. Or they could kill your spirit.

That is what my parents did.
They killed my spirit.
They killed the only thing that has ever supported me. They had no idea what was coming for them they day I built up enough guts to get out.

The day I found myself.
I found out who I was.

I, personally, am not abused. One of my friends inspired me to write this due to her family situation.