Life with OCD | Teen Ink

Life with OCD

By skinnykrissy2011 BRONZE, Marrero, Louisiana
skinnykrissy2011 BRONZE, Marrero, Louisiana

Butter Toast

OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder) is a very rare disease in the united states.1 in 10,000 Americans will be diagnosed with OCD.I was diagnosed when I was 6 years old.The symptoms of OCD are really hard to spot at first, but you'll eventually see the signs when the person does things repeatedly (ex. tapping,cleaning,and reorganizing things.

There is no cure, but there is medication to slow down the need to repeat things.It will make you drowsy and a little dizzy,but it works.Some say that it has ruined there life,but there just looking at the negatives.The positives are the house will always be clean and things will always be nice and tidy.

When I found out I had OCD I threw myself into research to found out more about it.My mother is still looking someone to help,but after 8 years of looking shes had no luck.I've learned to live with it; yes its hard,but I go through everyday with a smile and sometimes I forget I have OCD.

byebye said...
on Nov. 15 2011 at 8:32 pm
byebye, Nevermore, Other

This was good, but remember there are many more symptoms of OCD beyond repeating and obsessive cleaning.

Keep on writing! :)