Behind the Mask | Teen Ink

Behind the Mask

There’s always that one person. That one person who doesn’t fit in, sits alone, doesn’t feel like they belong at school. I know that person. I can’t say who, but all I know is that person feels alone.

They're not alone though. She has friends, talks to people, keeps a smile on her face most of the time, but on the inside she is sad. She is alone. Gets bullied with the words people say behind her back. Is called a freak because she acts a little strange; yet she is herself. She’s stuck in her own little world where people are nice, don’t care how she acts. She wants to scream out to the world and burst into tears. She doesn’t. She holds it in just to get through school. Gets home and has the tears dripping down her face. You can see the agony of bullying in her tears.

Music is really the only thing she has, that makes her not feel alone. When she sings, she forgets it all. The drama, the bullying, the hatred. It all disappears like a storm eventually goes away. When she stops, it stays away until the next day when she goes back to school. Then it starts again…. All of the bullying repeats again and again. Day after day it never changes.

Pretty soon, it leads to worse things. She starts to cut herself. Feel like nobody can hear her. She feels like that is her only option. She tries to hurt herself, so she won’t hurt anybody else. She can’t hurt people. That’s not who she is. She isn’t that person, but she can’t help herself she feels alone.

One person. One person could change all of that. One person could stick up for her. They could make a difference. Someone has. They made her feel like she mattered. They got her to feel better about herself and to not care what people thought about her. That one person, just the ONE person changes her whole perspective. Until they walked in her shoes, they had no idea what she was going through. Had no idea the pain and suffering she had to deal with before she met them.

That person changed her life that day. Changed how she felt. How she felt about herself had changed. The person who felt out of place, who didn’t fit in, who was a little weird. She had changed. The girl behind the mask.

this piece is very heart felt and a true story.

JanaesTwin said...
on Nov. 2 2011 at 3:11 pm
Janae...this is truly amazing! You put so much heart in it...and it inspires me. I know how you are... and this is totally you! Your technique of writing totally comes through. :)

on Nov. 2 2011 at 3:11 pm
Everybody should vote for her now! This is so insparational and I can tell how much this relates to her.