The Day I Never Want to Come | Teen Ink

The Day I Never Want to Come

By ZiGGady7 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
ZiGGady7 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

It was a beautiful July day, the sun was shining and the sky was a crisp sapphire blue. I can remember the feeling of joy inside of me like it was yesterday. After two long weeks my girlfriend, Jul, was finally home from Florida. She flew in to New York in the morning so I had to wait for her to settle back in to see her. So in the late afternoon I took the ten minute ride to her house, just like every day of that summer. The ride felt like an eternity to me, I was dying to see her. When I pulled up and put the car in park, she was running out the door to see me with a huge smile on her face. She jumped into my arms and we were both so happy to see each other. We caught up on her trip; she had an awesome time at Disney World and seeing her aunts and uncles. Unfortunately, she had to go to work that night and my time was cut short. But on the other hand, I got to bring her, another thing I enjoyed doing on a day-to-day basis.

I dropped her off in a great mood, and went on with my night. That night I stayed home with my family, had a nice dinner and just hung out. But after Jul got out of work I received a startling text saying “My life is coming to a screeching halt.” Puzzled, I asked what she was talking about and she responded, “They found more cancer in papa’s brain.” My heart sank. Then she said “They said he has anytime to six months left.” I couldn’t believe it. I broke down and cried the whole night.

Ten days later he passed away. He breathed his last breath early in the morning, with Jul’s hand on his shoulder. She told me later that day and I could tell she was at the lowest point she ever was in her life. There was nothing I could do to cheer her up; that hurt knowing that.

I went to Jul’s house later that day and met her sister at the door. I gave her a hug then gave Jul one. Those hugs were the most meaningful hugs I’ve ever given in my life. They both squeezed me so tight and my heart was so tender. Words can’t describe what that moment felt like. I felt the pain and heartbreak, the loneliness and anger, the need for someone to be there.

The whole week afterwards I saw the most tears I’ve ever seen in my life, both coming from other people’s eyes, and my own. I knew that Jul lost one of, if not the most important person in her life. I had no idea what it was like and won’t until it happens to me. She lost a person she loved the most, and that place in her heart will forever be empty. During the funeral I would try to imagine the day where I would be in her shoes. I couldn’t handle it just thinking of something like that, I can’t imagine what it is like experiencing something like that.

Every month on the 17th she put up a status about her papa. Me not knowing what it’s like to lose someone, expected her to get over his death. But after a while I realized she never will get over it. Nobody will ever get over something like that. So I thought to myself, I am so lucky to have everyone in my family with good health and a strong love for each other. I learned that life is precious and to never take your family for granted, because someone you know would do anything to have a family member back for a minute.