Color Me White | Teen Ink

Color Me White

September 27, 2011
By AndreaDenise BRONZE, Highland Village, Texas
AndreaDenise BRONZE, Highland Village, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

You’re so white! Since when did we start acting like colors? Next thing you know acting pink or blue will be the cool thing to do. Just because I speak like I have some sense and don’t walk around with my pants touching my knees, doesn’t mean the color of my skin has changed. I like to read, I like to write poetry, and I occasionally listen to a little country music. Does this make me white? Last time I checked, Hispanics, Asians, and several other races enjoy doing the same things as me. So why are they not saying, “Ohh you are so Chinese?”


The stereotypes set for black people are ridiculous. All black people love fried chicken, kool-aid, and watermelon. Also, apparently we are all loud and ignorant and love to go off on who ever looks at us wrong. And the fact that some people live up to these stereotypes really sets me off. So when I see a loud obnoxious black person girl with pink and yellow hair popping her gum and speaking as though she is ignorant, I just want to die. Or when I am watching the news and see that a new crime has been committed, and the suspect is once again black, I become extremely embarrassed. As a race, I feel that we have to work even harder to prove the perception about us wrong. Yes, every race has different stereotypes about them but why do the ones about African Americans have to be so negative? We are not all the same. We don’t all like rap, like to sag our pants, or have big over-the-top hair styles. But, because I am black and talk proper I am now white; I find this to be an insult.

You don’t see Beyonce or Michelle Obama walking around with an extra large cup of kool-aid, a fried chicken leg, and a multicolored wig do you? No. That’s because they carry themselves like actual ladies. It annoys me that because a few ignorant people decide to carry themselves like wild animals, the entire black race has such negative stereotypes. I’m Black, I like to read and write beautiful poetry, I like to listen to calm country music, I don’t like vulgar rap that exploits women, and I speak proper English. Does this now make me white, Chinese, or Hispanic? No! This makes me me, a black young lady who knows how to carry and love herself inside and out.

The author's comments:
In my creative writing class, Our teacher wanted us to write about things that made us mad. So, my inspiration for this piece was my class and the prompt she gave us that day.