Caught in the Middle | Teen Ink

Caught in the Middle

September 7, 2011
By Anonymous

They say family is number one; there for you through thick and thin. But, I'm just the middle child, caught in the rapids of the sea of expectations. Working hard to impress and make you proud. But, I'm just the middle child. You stare straight through me longing for either the superior, or the naive, never the average. And lets face it, I could never live up to the standards of the superior, and I'm too headstrong to sink to the level of the naive. However, both seem to pull your attention, like a flower pulling towards the sun, and I'm just the moon tagging along in the darkness that you wilt to. And because of their brilliant rays shining down on your sea of expectations, you fail to realize that I'm drowning, suffocating. I'm kicking harder and harder, trying to burst through the current, but I'm taking in salt water. I'm getting weaker by the second. But, you don't even notice, cause I'm just the middle child.


The author's comments:
Being a middle child, I feel like I get left behind a lot of the time. I feel like the my older, and younger sisters, get all of the attention, and that my parents would give them whatever they need. However, when it comes to me, I get pushed aside.