Why me? | Teen Ink

Why me?

Bag...Ready
Tie...Ready
Badge...Ready
Shoes...Ready
Socks...Ready
Alarm...Ready
Uniform...Ready
Belt...Ready
This is how I spent my minutes before sleep during school days. And that day was no exception. School was going to start from tomorrow and it was not any other academic year for two reasons- I am a 10th grader now (well, in India 10th grade is considered to be one of the most important academic periods of one's life as you give the national exam at the end of this grade)and the other reason was that I was the newly elected head girl. I knew, all eyes were on me. I was always under the microscope. In my school the Head Girl is expected to be one of the most respected people in the school. I don't know how I got elected. I remember, I was this awkward, just-above-average girl till 9th grade. I broke a lot of rules, not that I was into drugs or something, I broke rules which did not make sense to me. Like, oiling your hair before going to school or wishing your teacher in a particular manner. I still remember, when I was in 7th grade my school principal had this crazy idea of dividing the school into two single sex schools. But I started a protest in my school by pasting bills all over the school with slogans and other facts and statistics which were against single sex education. All the nuns hated me (yup, I was in a missionary school). But the protest worked. In the end my principal was convinced to have co-ed education again. During the farewell party I asked my principal "Why me?" she said, "Because, you believe in your actions." This responsibility made me grow as a person and made me a better human being.