She's Beauty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When I look at her, I see beauty. She doesn't remember her past except the little habits, fear of flies, and the color of her skin. She is the best thing that ever happened to me. I wouldn't trade her for all the Beatles' records, diet soda machines, and Daniel Radcliffe marriage proposals in the world.

An only child can't understand this. I know I sure didn't. Not at first. But the one thing that comes to mind when I hear the word beautiful is Nan Chi Xing.

I was an only child all my childhood. Not good, not bad, just different. I became accustomed to having long conversations with my stuffed animals and creating imaginary siblings. But nothing could substitute for the real thing, which I longed for.

Nan Chi Xing did not have a happy start. She too was an only child, but she was an orphan. Nan Chi Xing is not even what her mother named her. Her mother didn't care. Nan Chi Xing was left at a train station December 14, 2004. Doctors say she was three days old. She was left with nothing, not even an identity. The orphanage had to give her one.

By the time I turned nine, I was not the only one who wanted another kid around the house. My parents did too. More than anything. But my mom was unable to get pregnant. Adoption seemed like the best option.

Nan Chi Xing dreamed of having parents. I dreamed of having a sister. We both got our wish October 31, 2005, when my parents brought home my new best friend and little sister they renamed Chloe.

From the start, I wanted to pick her up, hold her, and protect her from all the dangers of the world. She doesn't know her past. She knows she was adopted, but having grown up with Disney movies, she assumes her parents died and she was given to a lovely family and will live happily ever after. I fear for her. I will personally “Avada Kedavra” the first boy who breaks her heart, and probably all those after that. I don't hate her mother. I feel sorry for her, she missed having a wonderful daughter. I hope wherever her mom is, she is happy. After all, she gave me the greatest gift I could ever receive.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So sweet---I can relate to that feeling of what it means to have a younger sister. Wanting to protect her from harm, not letting her experience things that made her cry...I'm glad that everything worked out for you and your sister. 5/5 I loved this story---made me realize how lucky me and my sister are.

aem312 said...
This is short but incredibly sweet. Being an only child I can relate to it a bit. I loved it.

StarwarsFreak95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Totally and completely beautiful. You have an amazing story here. I'm so glad you shared.