My Life Changes | Teen Ink

My Life Changes

August 30, 2011
By esc207 BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
esc207 BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Growing up is never fun. People always want to stay little and keep the care free life style. I used to be the girl that never wanted to stop coloring or painting. I was also the girl who never wanted to wake up and stop taking naps. As I grew older I still colored and still slept. The only thing that changed was my age. Events in my life started happening. My mom was in the hospital for 3 weeks and I found out that I’m adopted. A few years ago, I took a really long look into the mirror. I saw this lazy girl who relied on everyone else. I am now hard-working and independent.

Events in my life have changed me for the better. When I was in 8th grade, my parents told me something I thought would never come out of their mouth. They brought me to our kitchen table and told me to have a seat. “Emma, sweetie, we have to talk to you about something”. As my mom said this, I thought she was going to burst into tears. “What is it, did someone die?” I asked her this question because my grandpa was very sick at the time. “Honey, do you know what adoption is exactly?” “Kind of, isn’t it where a kid lives with other family?” My mom started crying and my dad stepped in and explained to me about how I really wasn’t their child, and I was adopted 14 years prior. After this discussion, I went into this depression state. I thought wow my real mom wanted nothing to do with me and I felt like no one loved me. After about a week of coming to deal with it, I realized that wow my parents do love me and my real mom loved me more than anyone because she wanted me to have a better life. This is where I changed. I wanted to make my parents happy and proud of me. I wanted them to feel like they did make a right decision in adopting me, they didn’t get stuck with this lazy kid who takes them for granted. I knew right then and there that I wanted to go to college. I want to get into college because neither one of my parents did. My parents still tell me that I don’t need to prove them anything. They just want me to have a good life and if college will make my life better, then they will help me get through college. I became so hard- working and involved in school. I still am very hard- working. I know this makes my parents very happy and proud but I know what will really get them happy is to see their daughter make it to college and get a degree and make something out of herself. I know this will also make my parents proud because they’ve told me how my real mom was addicted to drugs and how they don’t want me to get involved with the wrong people. Many adopted kids go down the wrong path and I want my parents to know that I will go down the right path and they helped me find my way.

On the other hand, another event that changed me and my life forever was when my mom was checked into the hospital for cellulites. Cellulite is a disease where she got bit by a fire ant and her legs slowly started to swell up. One day she woke up to take my little brother and me to school and she couldn’t even get out of bed. My dad rushed her to the emergency room. Once she got into the hospital the doctors realized that she was getting sick and is becoming unconscious. They informed my dad that her percentage of coming out of this alive is very slim. My dad came home and talked to my first because I asked where she was. “Hey dad where’s mom?” he sat at the table looking into his hands. “Dad?” I said. “Emma, do you know how I took mom to the hospital today?” “Yeah” “Well she has to stay in there for a while, the doctors are afraid that she’s not going to make it” He started to tear up near the end. I ran to my room and cried. I just couldn’t have thought what my life would have been like if my mom had passed away. But at the same time a light bulb went off in my head and told me that my mom won’t always be there to do things for me. If I want to move away for college or move out and start my own life, I have to start becoming more independent. That day I realized that not everything just magically happens on its own. People have to do it. My mom was the women that did absolutely everything for me. She was in the hospital for 3 weeks. Being at home without her made me appreciate her more than anyone. I started doing everything for myself and becoming more independent. I knew what my mom needed was rest, so I taught myself how to do that things around the house that she did. Today I don’t depend on people to do things for me; I have made it accustomed to do certain things on my own. Her going into the hospital made me realize she is not always going to be there. She can’t always hold my hand in whatever I do. So when I go to college I know that she’ll know I’m ready and she won’t have to hold my hand or give me a push. Going to college will also help me see that I am an independent women and can fend for myself.

Conclusively, a few years ago, I took a really long look into the mirror. I saw this lazy girl who relied on everyone else. I am now hard-working and independent. During my life I have come to the conclusion that everything does happen for a reason. If I wasn’t adopted I wouldn’t try as hard as I do. Also if my mom wasn’t in the hospital she would still probably do everything for me. I now know to rely on other people for help not to actually do everything for me. I work hard to make me and my parents proud and if I get into college and become a nurse and make something out of myself, I’d be happy and content with my life. I know that I have reached my goal and I have changed for the better. What makes me different from other people is I put others before myself and try and make them happy. Yes, I do things for me but I love making people happy and smile. If I graduate high school and go to college I know my parents couldn’t be happier. Not everyone you know is adopted either. Most adopted kids that I hear about turn to drugs and alcohol for support and love. I have my mom and dad. They have been with me and by my side since I became theirs. Also with my mom going into the hospital, kids do a lot of things themselves. I didn’t at first. My mom did everything. With her gone I felt like I could be independent and I can do whatever I set my mind too. These situations helped me see that since I’m hard working and independent, I can make something out of myself.