Are Your Shoes Untied? | Teen Ink

Are Your Shoes Untied?

By crystalheart BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
crystalheart BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

"When I found Christ, I found who I was"

Remember growing up and always hearing your parents fuss about tying your shoes? I do. I almost didn’t even care whether or not my shoes were untied. So I decided to ask my mom why she wanted me to tie my shoes. She said “if your shoes aren’t tied, you can easily trip and hurt yourself”. I didn’t believe that reason until I actually fell and bruised myself. My mom screamed at me and even gave me a spanking. I was disobedient and rebellious for not even listening to her. What’s the point of this dumb story? A lot of times having the title of a “young adult” we feel we can walk on our own without any guidance. Sometimes we are told how to walk and we just do not want to listen because we feel we have lived long enough to make our own independent decisions. Well just like my mom told me why I needed to tie my shoes without having to hurt myself, Jesus tells us, through His word how to walk, so we will not hurt ourselves. And often times, we do not listen to the voice of the Lord and we walk the way we want to. In the end, we go through circumstances that could have been preventable. The Bible says “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths”. If you learn to trust the word of the Lord, knowing that all He wants is for you to be like Him, you do not have to worry about whether or not your shoes are untied because God will always keep them tied so that you can walk just like Jesus.