The First Drag | Teen Ink

The First Drag

By TheCandyLandOverlord BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska
TheCandyLandOverlord BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska

For some odd reason, I wasn’t nervous at all. I knew I wanted to try it, I had to try it. He held it out to me explaining how he got the kind that would leave a minty taste in my mouth. I took it from him and pondered the feel it in between my fingers.

I brought the green stick up close to my face and looked at the end of it, where I was going to put my lips. Smoke floated freely inside the stick. I remembered thinking that if I didn’t get it in my mouth quick I would lose all the smoke. So, I did and for a second I didn’t know what I was supposed to do. Do I breathe in or just sit there and let the smoke find its way? Just sitting there didn’t seem to be doing anything; the smoke seemed to be lost and couldn’t find my mouth, so I took in a breath.

The feel and taste caught me off guard. I quickly ripped the cigar from my mouth from my mouth and spat out the smoke. Oddly enough, not a lot of smoke came out of my mouth or nose. I guess I hadn’t breathed in as much as I had thought. This couldn’t be the end of my experience. No. I brought it back up to my lips.

I took a deep breath this time. The smoke filled my mouth and floated all the way to the back of my throat. It stung and the taste was much worse than undesirable. Before I could breathe it out properly I began coughing. The smoke flowed from my mouth and nostrils as I couched. Admittedly though, the smoke looked pretty cool.

I handed the cigar off to my sister and stood hunched over for a second staring at the grass. I wanted to gag; the taste had been so horrible. I had to suppress the feeling as I turned back to face my friends. One of them pulled out a pack of gum and offered me a piece. I took it gratefully, I would’ve done anything to get the taste out of my mouth. Anything,

The cigar was passed around but I didn’t want anything to do with it anymore. It seemed so disgusting now. I don’t regret the experience though. It was something I wanted to do, something I had to do.