I Am From | Teen Ink

I Am From

By allycaroline21 PLATINUM, Rochester, New York
allycaroline21 PLATINUM, Rochester, New York

"Swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive."

"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."

& tons more.

I am from music; my only comfort. As the days lingered and the nights quickly passed, the melodious tones held me in their safe embrace. Every beat on a drum, every strum of a guitar can take the pain of my scars until it is no longer felt.The voice of the singer uttering words in my ear, inspiring me to be strong; words that my mother should be saying. Every soft whisper and every loud boast can take the unhealed wounds and turn them into bliss. Music; my loyal and reassuring safe harbor.

I am from what they made me; strong-willed, understanding and independent. ’Trust no one’ is my motto, ‘Be trusting’ is theirs. They left me alone; lost and confused. Was it my fault? Is there something wrong with me? Their decision crushed me unexpectedly like an ant finally getting its bread crumb only to be stomped by an awaiting shoe. Abandonment taught me to live for myself. It’s only me against this world but with that I can suffice.

I am from my heroic father; strong and brave. Our memories engraved on my heart and his face forever a common image in my mind. As his dry and ashen lips whispered those last hallow words, my heart sank into my stomach and my stomach onto the floor. As his hand squeezed mine for the last time, my path was set. Strong and better than before, I am my father’s daughter.

on Jul. 27 2011 at 3:58 pm
writingchick GOLD, Huntington, Indiana

"Faith is taking another step without seeing the entire staircase."

This is a very well-written article. I love the part where you gave a metaphor about the ant and the shoe. This is honestly a very good article. 5 stars! Could you check out some of my work?? Thanks and keep up the good writing!