A Visit to an Orphanage | Teen Ink

A Visit to an Orphanage

By charvi BRONZE, Delhi, Other
charvi BRONZE, Delhi, Other

be positive

For years, I had been a pessimist could never reconcile to what god had bestowed upon me. I envied others and felt as if the whole world is happy and that it was only me who had happiness missing in my life thought why god always forgets to shower his blessings on me. With these negative thoughts in mind, I used to remain sad and depressed. ”neither, I had an LCD, nor a branded car”, I used to curse my fate. When I wasn’t having a computer, I had always wished to have it. When I had got it, I started wishing for a laptop. In all, I started leading a melancholic life and was never satisfied with what I had till my visit to an orphanage. Our exams were over and so the school authorities decided to take us to a nearby orphanage. Initially I flinched from the idea of visiting such an unusual Place and meeting these “uncivilized and uneducated” children who later transformed my life. We reached there early in the morning around 7:30 a.m. We queued up as instructed. When we entered the orphanage, what we saw was surprising. There were around sixty to seventy feeble orphans standing around the main gate to welcome us. When we went inside, the manager greeted and showed us the whole orphanage. It was in a miserable condition. The walls looked so old and disheveled as if just an earthquake struck and the whole orphanage would collapse. There was a kitchen where the elder girls were cooking food for all the members. Then, was a palatial room where everyone used to sleep. It was unlike my own bedroom which has a proper bed, cupboards to store things, wall hangings, a normal sized television and Bright painted walls. Then the manager showed us the garden. Small children were watering the plants, leveling the soil and performing other odd jobs efficiently. A group of girls of around my age were washing dirty clothes. This was something I used to hate when my own mother asked me to do. But they were doing all this without any regrets. Then, they gave us sometime to interact with the orphans. I started chatting with an eleven year old boy. He, in his sweet gentle voice, answered all my questions anxiously. He told me that they got food only if they get up early in the morning. So many times, they had to work endlessly the entire day with empty stomachs. I was really shocked to hear this. But when I asked don’t they feel bad about all this, he simply answered “We are accustomed to all this since the time we lost our parents.” I was touched. He further told me that nearly all the orphans were fond of studying. I was quite astonished at this. When we enquired, we found that they had strong ambitions. “Doctor, teacher, pilot”… and the list was endless. The best day of their week was Saturday because it was on that day the master used to go out for some work in the afternoon for two three hour and it was in this duration this time when all hundred of them used to leave their work , sit together enjoying, playing and singing songs. I was stunned when I realized that they knew nothing about computers, laptops, Play stations .Probably because they never got chance to step out and peep into the outside world. But still there was a sense of cooperation, love and selflessness among everyone. They lived like a family. It was 1 o clock and it was time for us to bid them goodbye. Neither of us wanted to go. From that day onwards, I was completely changed. I considered myself fortunate to have my own parents, a small but “my” house, my own bedroom, my friends and a far better person. Those orphans instilled a sense of positivity and compassion in me. Now, I have an optimistic approach towards my life. I value everything in my life and thank God for whatever he has given me.

gyes...read it ....ur life will be changed

Amie said...
I came here for school homework

shail said...
on Sep. 14 2015 at 11:47 am
It something ertraordinary a totally different but impressive view.Thanks

{PRAmy said...
on Oct. 14 2014 at 8:57 am
Touching article...........It,s so lovely. i make every one of the readers to be optimistic  

ashu said...
on Nov. 10 2013 at 11:32 am
wow very nice article 

Muhsina Musi said...
on Sep. 8 2013 at 12:22 am
thnk u so much fo diz article.. it helpd me a lot.. :)

nilu said...
on Aug. 27 2013 at 5:35 am
Pls, friends read this essay and then your life will change.