Should Social Networking Be Allowed For Students? | Teen Ink

Should Social Networking Be Allowed For Students?

By Writing4Pub DIAMOND, Colts Neck, New Jersey
Writing4Pub DIAMOND, Colts Neck, New Jersey

Always desire to learn something useful.
Sophocles

Dear Superintendent,

The school board has recently become aware of some problems that have occurred with the students in middle school. Social networks such as MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter have been used in such a way that it is interfering with our students, my fellow classmates learning. These social networks have become a huge part of society and students daily lives. Facebook, for example has been the cause for many problems the school boards has become aware of. On all three social networks there have been accounts of stalkers, kidnappers, and unsafe people, who use these websites and networks to put the safety of children, in danger. Implementing a school policy that bans all students from using these and other social networks can bring positive outcomes to the youth of today and the future of tomorrow. By banning the use of social networks students will be safer, have more time for school work/ free time/extra curricular activities/sports and more, also it will increase take the focus of students from Facebook to school work, grades, and school instead.

Another reason why students should be no longer allowed to use social networks is about how unsafe the students are on them. You see in the news all the time stories about young kids getting stolen, killed, and harmed. These stories all seem to have similar reasons behind the crime. Similar reasons behind how the stalker, kidnapper, or murderer found the child. This is the social networks that these children have; such as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. It is very easy to find all kinds of information about people, like phone numbers, names, and home addresses all from these social networking sites. Many students have all this information and these websites along with a picture of themselves, which can very easily be found by anyone. The minority of students who have these social networks will be smart and will not put any of this personal information on; but the majority of students do put all this plus more personal information on these websites. If students did not have these social networks their personal information would not be put out there nor would they be at risk of harm from unsafe people in the world. This is why it would just be better and safer for all students to not have them. For example a student who has a Facebook with tons of pictures with them in it, their name, and cell phone number, and home address or even hometown can easily be stalked by an unknown person and eventually be located. But a student who is not on Facebook, Twitter, or MySpace will just be another face in the crowd. As you can see it is much safer for students to not be on these social networking sites.
Another reason why students should be banned from the use of social networks is due to the amount of time they spend on them. Many students who use these social networks are on them daily for hours on end. Many students on Facebook say, “It’s addicting!” If students are on Facebook, Twitter, or MySpace all the time then they will barely have anytime for more important things like schoolwork, or family and friends. Without these social networks to spend countless hours on students will have more free time to do other things. They can do things such as homework assignments, missed work, and to study for upcoming tests and classes. This again will only benefit students, by giving them a better education.

A third reason why students should be banned from using social networks is because of the countless incidents that have occurred on them and how often they are on their minds. These incidents are always on student’s minds, or coming out of their mouths in a conversation. This serves as a distraction to the students who have these social networks such as Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter, and the students who don’t have these social networks. When students are too busy talking about so-and so’s picture or this-one-and-that ones fight the “learning” goes in one ear and out the other. This can greatly impact many students learning, and their futures. Students who miss out on the learning now, will eventually miss out on an opportunity in the future. But without Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter there will be no fight to discuss or picture to pound.

All in all banning students from using social networks can only have positive outcomes. The learning of students will be their top priority. Also students will be more focused on school and not Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and other social networks. It’s a win-win situation. I strongly encourage you to create a school policy banning social networks for all students!

Sincerely,

A Seventh Grade Student

noor said...
on Aug. 20 2017 at 3:29 am
It is really good

noor said...
on Aug. 20 2017 at 3:28 am
It is really good

ahly_chann said...
on Apr. 1 2016 at 9:13 am
I totally agree

nagu said...
It is really awesome!!!

nagu said...
It is really awesome!!!

on May. 15 2013 at 8:14 am
we should get to use facebook at school because it is just what i think