An Explanation of Athiesm | Teen Ink

An Explanation of Athiesm

By thinkhappythoughts SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma
thinkhappythoughts SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"in friends we trust" -Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!

I saw this status on an acquaintance’s facebook page a few minutes ago, “Atheists irritate me. If nothing exists, then why get so worked up over the existence of nothing …. Much ado about nothing … isn’t it a waste of time for the atheists to be promoting NOTHING?”
My thoughts on this are pretty strong, and I would love to enlighten the rest of you.
Don’t believe in anything? Au contrair, mon ami. The last time I looked, the universe existed, as did I. Obviously, we are not working ourselves up over nothing, as we do not regard reality as nothing. Who ever said that atheists don’t accept reality as existing? For Christians, and many other religions, their god is everything and without their deity, there is nothing. But you have no evidence for your beliefs; therefore you do seem to fit the exact profile that you are throwing at us. You could very well be believing in nothing. All ideas are up for criticism, particularly religious ones. To critically examine the cultural milieu, and to be concerned about it, is called “being passionately and compassionately involved with reality”.
Just because someone believes that gods don’t exist doesn’t mean they belive NOTHING exists. Here’s something that pretty obviously does exist: As many different religions as there are flowers, propping up thousands of different beliefs for the sake of their own survival, no matter the consequences. That’s worth getting worked up about.

on Sep. 3 2011 at 8:01 pm

Thank you for thanking me for being awesome!!!

on Jul. 25 2011 at 2:40 am
Ren-P. PLATINUM, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"You must give up a life you’d planned in order to have the life that’s waiting for you." ~ Joseph Campbell

I love this explanation. I am a Unitarian Universalist. My stepdad is an athiest (well he's a Unitarian Universalist first, athiest second). Thanks for being awesome.