Gone for Good | Teen Ink

Gone for Good

Dear bulimia,
I’m breaking up with you. Sorry, it just isn’t working out. I’m done letting you control my life, my thoughts, my very existents. No, we can’t be friends. It’s for the better, believe me. You took over my life, now I’m taking it back. No longer will my day be ruled by thoughts of when I can get to throw up next. No longer will the smallest amount of food scare me. It’s going to be a long process. But you and I? We’re DONE.
Gone for good,
M

I've battled eating disorders for a long time. it felt liberating to finally write this.

on Jun. 21 2011 at 11:12 am
MollyDoubleU BRONZE, Minooka, Illinois

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - The Great Gatsby

I think it's very amazing that you were able to conquer something like bulimia. I'm sure that was a very difficult and scary time for you. I think you're a very brave person to go through with all of that.

Your letter is good, but I feel like you could have put a little more emotion into it. Eating disorders are something that people struggle with for years and years, so I'm sure that there is much emotion that people go through.