I Wish You Were Here; Or I Was There | Teen Ink

I Wish You Were Here; Or I Was There

By ShainaMarie BRONZE, Savona, New York
ShainaMarie BRONZE, Savona, New York

Scars - they remind me that the past is real. And the more scars, the better; 'cause it just means that I was never afraid to try. :)

Well, I knew this would come. And yes, I've been dreading it.
I tried being happy for you today. . .because I knew that would be the way you would want me to be. But knowing that it's your birthday and I still can't be with you. . .it's more frustrating than anything. It makes me wonder though; are birthdays still celebrated where you are?. .I like to think so.
I like to think that you're watching me live my life; I like to think that you're proud of me in some way. . .in any way.

I've been told that it's not healthy to think about you as much as I do; but maybe I don't care. I find comfort in the fact that I had you in my life for as long as I did; although I wish you could have stayed much longer.

"I'm sorry for your loss" - I always hated those words. What was lost couldn't be put into words. . .ever. It always seemed like no one had any idea what it felt like because they had no idea what you meant to the people that really knew you- what you meant to me.

Watching you leave was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

You enjoy yourself out there, alright? I miss you so much- I miss every little thing.
You'll always be the one that I look up to; the one I want to be just like.
You'll always be my hero.

Happy Birthday, Uncle Kev. [[4/22/78 - 10/27/10]]