Hard to Manage | Teen Ink

Hard to Manage

By paytin BRONZE, Paulina, Louisiana
paytin BRONZE, Paulina, Louisiana

Do you ever feel that a certain job is the best job for you until you spend a couple of days there, and then you realize that you have made a huge mistake? That's how I feel.
Babysitting seems like the easiest job on the planet. Especially it the children are over eight years old. A lady down my street called me to babysit her two children for the summer. I would get paid one-hundred dollars a week. I really needed the money, and the kids seemed like they could take care of themselves. So of course I said, yes.
Summer started up and the children were as quiet as a mouse.They were like perfect children. They played in their rooms, and they watched movies all day. I felt like I wasn't really earning my money by sitting down all day.So, I decided to play games with them, make many different crafts with them, and bake with them. They enjoyed everything I did.
They got very used to me in a matter of three weeks. By the third week they started screaming at me, throwing food at me, and demanding me to play with them. While I cooked lunch for them, they would run around the house knocking everything off the shelves, and they made me clean it up. The dirtied every dish in the house, and I had to wash all of them. I wanted to quit so badly, but I knew I could not let the mother down, and I knew I needed the money. So I bared all of the abuse. The next week the oldest child slapped me so hard that I had a huge whelp for days. I told the mother many of times what the children do while she is away. She said she would set them straight, but they never changed. The next month of summer I was used to the children and I learned how to control them a little better. It isn't the best job you could ask for, but I'm happy I didn't give up because if I would have, I wouldn't be able to buy the things I need.
The next summer I was called by another lady who had four kids. I admit, I was very scared to take her up on her offer, but she was offering two hundred fifty dollars a week. She told me that the lady down my street had recommended me. Once I met her children I felt better about that summer because they were really angels.

Work isn't easy. No matter what the job is, it will be hard. Don't quit early in your job. Spend at least a month there. You never know what could happen in the future.