Teen Drinking | Teen Ink

Teen Drinking

By Swaggaaaaaa BRONZE, Mountlake Terrace, Washington
Swaggaaaaaa BRONZE, Mountlake Terrace, Washington

I have a very strong opinion towards teen drinking because I used to binge drink almost every weekend. I never realized how dangerous it was until I drank too much. One morning I woke up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning. My skin was a mixture of purple and blue, my veins were the most visible they’ve ever been. My lungs felt like they were collapsing with every breath, and I kept passing out. The experience opened my eyes. I realized that drinking actually hurts people It’s not always a party.

Did you know that by 8th grade, 50% of children have had “One drink” (which is a full beer, or wine spritzer) 20% have been drunk and 40% of high schooler’s binge drink on a regular occasion. This is a big controversy because alcohol dependence or alcoholism is more likely if you begin drinking before, or around age 15. Being an alcoholic is considered a chronic disease; people are either physically or mentally dependent on it. Lowering the drinking age should be completely out of the question.

Exposing the brain to alcohol during the transition from childhood to adulthood could interrupt important brain development and can lead to an escalation of drinking; the alcohol conducts a negative effect on development and screws with physical growth and memory. Early consumption also leads to depression, illicit drug use, and tobacco. During later years people develop either Psychological Dependence (When a person feels the need to drink to feel normal or accepted, the mind controls the persons drinking) Or physical dependence (when the body requires alcohol to maintain balance.) In both these cases the alcohol is slowly killing people from the inside out.

Every single year, teens die from alcohol related symptoms, alcohol poisoning, alcohol related accidents. According to a study conducted by the Pacific Institute on Research and Evaluations, 5,000 teens die every year related to alcohol. Homicides account for roughly the most deaths totaling to 1,600 deaths per year. Drunk drivers come in next at 1,400 deaths. Drinking can worsen depression and mental problems resulting in around 300 teen suicides.

To be honest, we’ll never be able to fully stop teenage drinking, but we can try to prevent it. Parents and friends play a large part in a teens drinking. Peers and parents should keep open communication by asking questions and being involved. Parents should have strict rules and reasonable consequences. Teens should always have a person they can rely on if they’ve been drinking and need a ride. Alcohol ages should not be lowered because of the risks.