Freak Accident | Teen Ink

Freak Accident

June 2, 2011
By musicmakerxme93 BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
musicmakerxme93 BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Experiences are what shape us and friends are there till the end. We go through life not knowing what comes next, but planning every minute.

This past year had been a wild roller coaster ride with all of its ups and downs. My friends have always been there for me though. I believe friends are what make life bearable.

Not too long ago, I was at a low point in my life and really needed my friends. They were all there for me no matter what, it was amazing. I was walking home from school one day when I got a phone call. It was from my dad. He said there had been an accident and I need to be home as soon as possible. The next three blocks were extra long and dreadful. All of the suspense was building up and I couldn’t help but prepare myself for the worst.

I walked up my driveway slowly, creeping towards the door not knowing what I would find on the other side. I walked in and no one was home. Apparently my dad was on his way to come get me and my sisters were pulled out of school by my mom. I sat at the island and stared at the big bowl of colorful fruit going over every possible situation in my head. Nothing was clicking. I thought to myself, “What could this possibly be? Is it good or bad?” I sat there for twenty minutes before I decided to call my best friend, Hannah. She has been through plenty and I figured she’d have some good advice.

She told me that whatever happens happens. “You can’t change what has happened, but you can control how you react to it,” she calmly told me. I decided to write downs lists of things I wanted to do and how I wanted my life to be. I still didn’t know if what had happened was bad, but I figured it would be. Hannah came over that night.

The sound of the garage door opening echoed through my ears. My dad pulled in the driveway and the tires made a high pitched squeak. This is when I began to freak myself out…

If I didn’t have Hannah on the phone to keep me calm, I probably would have started sobbing, even if it ended up being good news. I believe in the power of friendship and how these people you may have never known can make some of the biggest impacts in your life. I know I wouldn’t be who I am today without them.