Why Can't I Sleep?!

They always tell me to get a good night's rest. What they don't know is that I hardly ever sleep. It's the night before my exams; I know I won't be able to sleep; so I study, and study and study. By the time I realize that I have read the same sentence three different times it's time to start getting ready. I can hear my mother downstairs making coffee. My little sister complaining because the house isn't as warm as her bed was. My dad is still asleep. Since he was diagnosed with cancer, he hasn't been moving around much. Sometimes I wonder what will happen once I start college. My college is three hours away, and I won't be able to help out like I have.
Tired; in that one word you can describe my personality. I try to keep my game face on, but it is no use. After a couple days I just want to sleep. Yet I know that I won't be able to. Exhaustion kicks in; not the kind where you fall asleep instantly. Oh, no, I wouldn't be that lucky. The kind that it seems to seep into my bones. The kind that makes you forget to pack your lunch or to put your shoes. I have tried taking sleeping pills but none have worked for me. I have tried yoga, meditation, and a number of other methods that doctors have told me. None help. I don't care if it is three hours or eight, my only wish is to be able to sleep.

ninjadragon56 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:00 am:
i really like this. im glad that its so short too, it adds emotion to it. despite the fact that its not a length piece. good thing that your able to sleep not though! :) keep writing

Cool_Nerdy_Girl replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm :
Thank you, and just so you know I will never stop writing.  It's like a piece of my personality.

ninjadragon56 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 7:31 pm :
good, because your really good at it!