A simple invitation

Sitting all alone the room felt so empty, but looking about it was quite clear that the room was full of people. There was no one else in the corner, and there wasn’t anyone paying attention to the corner. That whole thought was wrong though wasn’t it? Someone was paying attention and they were approaching. I had spent a lot of time in the band hall, and most of it alone and unnoticed. Chris had noticed though. He knew that I needed help, and I knew that I needed help, but until then it never seemed like help would come. Who knew that an action so simple could ever mean so much? He invited me to a movie night. That’s all it took and my life began to grow brighter.

It was at a friends house, and there were a lot of people there. We watched The Prestige and drank Mountain Dew and Coke. There was a lot of chaos, people being loud, making jokes, and tackling one another at one point. It was full of everything that had been missing. I was surrounded with good friends, and fun was to be had at every moment. That night inspired me to start having movie nights at my house.

Nearly ever weekend since that night I’ve had movie night after movie night at my house. I’m always surrounded by friends and happiness now. The group changed over time and Chris was alienated from the group because of something that no one else could forgive him for. He made my high school career great. I hope he knows that, and I thank him for it. If not for him, I would still be sitting in a corner by myself wondering what I was missing. I am who I am today because of a simple invitation.