Rose Bowl | Teen Ink

Rose Bowl

May 20, 2011
By Loganatmo BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Loganatmo BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On the way to the Rose Bowl in 2011, I had the craziest ride of my entire life. Starting at the beginning, for Christmas, I got a ticket for the Rose Bowl, along with my brother, my brother-in-law, and his dad. The Rose Bowl is a BCS bowl in Pasadena, California. On our way, we had to start off in Dallas and go all the way through Texas. Six hours later, we ran into snow and ice in New Mexico. Which is slippery than it looks, actually. One totaled Toyota 4Runner, a spilled cup of coffee, and four cold, cranky men later, we continued on our way to watch the TCU Horned Frogs take on the Wisconsin Badgers. Without side-view mirrors, we were all partial drivers and with at least 8 more hours to drive, energy drinks would be needed. (Somewhere we crossed into Las Vegas, but I know the rules, so I’ll just skip that.) We roll into California, almost literally, and buy gas. Five miles down the road we see gas that is at least $1.50 cheaper per gallon than what we paid. Stopping for the night, we find the cheapest hotel possible, pay and lay down. Being woken up at 3:30 isn’t at all pleasant, but getting to see the Rose Bowl Parade floats the morning before the actual parade more than made up for it. Never really going back to sleep created lost of excitement for the game, however. Tailgating for the game started at around 10:00 as we rolled into the parking lot and saw the horned frog hand signals. Fast forwarding past the first three quarters and ten minutes, it all came down to the last play of the game. Wisconsin’s quarterback attempts a pass near the end zone, but TCU’s linebacker batted the pass down, ending the game with TCU winning. The Badger fans cleared the Rose Bowl more quickly than they came into it. Rah Rah!