What I say and the Lies Behind it

“I'm not angry.” Is what I say, but my lips tell me I’m saying “I’m lying.”

“Don’t worry about it.” I say, calm as ever. I put on a smile even though my throat and eyes tell me I’m crying.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I say, looking away and going quiet, but my head tells me to speak.

“It’s okay.” I say, showing with my eyes honesty, but my mouth knows its not.

“I understand.” I say, feeling pain for them, but my head tells me I don’t.

“Tell me.” I say, squeezing a hand to show trust, but my heart tells me I don’t deserve to know.

“I trust you.” I say, thinking I do but my lips tell me I’m saying “leave.”

“I am telling the truth.” I say but with my soul I know it’s a lie.

“I love you.” I say, speaking with emotion, but I know I don’t.

Little_Blue_LightsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 4:23 pm:
I think it is difficult to go through life without saying these things. I say them because I want to protect myself or someone else, but sometimes you are expected to say that you are fine even when you aren't. This piece really brings that to life. All those moments when you have to make a choice. Very thought provoking. 

Cool_Nerdy_Girl said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm:
I think everyone does the same thing.  We all those little "white lies" that haunt us in the end.

ninjadragon56 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:48 am :
thats what i was trying to get at! :)